Calls Grow To Kick Convicts Out Of Army

B

Biscuits_AB

I think that their bitterness will go against them. How do they feel about convicted murderers such as members of PIRA, being released back into society without serving their sentences?

It cuts both ways.

I'm already fed up with the Deepcut parents who won't accept anything but the version they want to hear and this lot have now made their position very clear.

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
Perhaps the lady would like to reflect on why her "innocent" son, who was surely aware of the situation in NI, stole a car and ran an armed checkpoint.

It is sad that he died but he died through stupidity and bravado and two young men had their lives ruined by his stupidity and their actions which seemed over zealous in the non-representative cool light of the court room.

I have little sympathy.

Fcuk sympathy............

Exactly as stated above... what about terorrists serving as Ulster MP's and those convicted of terorrist acts being released early?

This women needs to move on (and sharpish).

Any different from shooting an unarmed drunk carrying a table leg/an unarmed 'suspect' naked in bed or a suspect bomber? Wait for the Finucane people to crawl out of the woodwork bleating on about human rights etc.

B

Biscuits_AB

At this moment in time, the time is right for all of these people to get on the compensation/get their own way bandwagons. Coming from a Republican area should we expect any less of these people. How would she have felt if her 'innocent' son had hurt or killed someone? Who would she blame then? Would she deny him the right to earn a living in his chosen profession? How wouls she feel about those who would?

I suspect that not only is the time right for this individual, but it will also be right for those who wish to capitalise both financially and politically from it. and this whole charade will be driven by them. It should be treat with the contempt it deserves. They'll not be content until they get their way and Tony will probably support them.

Well, his wife will at least.

sparkysapper said:
I always thoght that years ago it was offered to you as an option by the Judge... Jail or Army
Probably urban legend. I'm not saying that if you were up before the beak for some misdemenour and your defence chappy told them you were thinking of enlisting that the beak wouldn't either let you off or treat you leniently. I simply don't believe judges in living memory had the option of jailing or joining.

I used to work with a bloke who says that it was an option given to him a few years back, however the validity of it i am not certain.

Sparky

hup-two-three said:
sparkysapper said:
I always thoght that years ago it was offered to you as an option by the Judge... Jail or Army
Probably urban legend. I'm not saying that if you were up before the beak for some misdemenour and your defence chappy told them you were thinking of enlisting that the beak wouldn't either let you off or treat you leniently. I simply don't believe judges in living memory had the option of jailing or joining.
This is not an urban legend. I was in basic training with two blokes from north of the border who were given the option of prison of enlist. This was some years ago (1979) and I haven't met many of the same ilk in recent years.

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
It pretty much died out in the late 70s however I have had to write a letter to the local court and police about 3 young men (15 years old) who were facing the beak.

I wrote the usual guff about them joining the ACF and looking forward to serving their country in the army.

It worked a treat, charges were dropped and they are all 17 now and have not been in trouble since.

Its a great i dea instead of this community service which seems to serve no one!

Sign them up for a compulsary 2 year stint and watch them reform or get a pace stick thrust in various orafices!"!!!

OS

This call is just another bandwagon jumping exercise. What the hell more do they want. The guys did whatever it was they did and were then released. No one else - except some sex offenders - are debarred from returning to work after they have done their time. The presentos on offer for NI people (RMP HIT and 5,000 shivering policemen whose fate will be decided by 20) are encouraging all sorts of things to come out of the woodwork. Wait and see.

E

error_unknown

Maybe if she'd been a better parent, her car thief of a son would still be alive. Whose to say the little scrotes would not have been involved in a hit and run etc, a big pat on the back to the soldiers involved I say. It speaks volumes for the quality of marksmanship in the infantry that they could hit a moving target. Bravo!

maninblack said:
Perhaps the lady would like to reflect on why her "innocent" son, who was surely aware of the situation in NI, stole a car and ran an armed checkpoint.

It is sad that he died but ...
No it isn't

maninblack said:
It pretty much died out in the late 70s however I have had to write a letter to the local court and police about 3 young men (15 years old) who were facing the beak.

I wrote the usual guff about them joining the ACF and looking forward to serving their country in the army.

It worked a treat, charges were dropped and they are all 17 now and have not been in trouble since.
Not completely died out though - there was a lad in my troop in basic (in 98.) who had been given the choice. He even had an escape route planned (Australia IIRC), so he could be out of the country within 24 hours of being kicked out of the Army, if it happened (and it did - CDT) because if he got kicked out he'd be in jail.

Most of you are thinking about completely and utterly the wrong case.

Peter McBride was not a joy rider (not that I think joyriders deserve to be shot anyway).

He was stopped at a checkpoint. The soldiers searched him - they found nothing and he was not on their 'wanted' list either. He then panicked and ran off. The soldiers shot him in the back as he ran away and shot him again as he was wounded. They claimed he may have had a bomb - but they had just searched him! The judge descibed them as liars. Hardly, the sort of chaps who should be serving in the Army? If they had made an honest mistake then I think it would be ok for them to continue in the Army.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,3604,1038837,00.html
The Guardian said:
It was in September 1992 that 18-year-old Peter McBride was shot by two Scots guardsmen, XXXX XXXX and YYYY YYYY, while they were patrolling the New Lodge area of Belfast. They stopped and searched the youth, finding nothing, but he was so frightened by the confrontation he took to his heels. As he ran off he was shot in the back and seriously wounded. Then, when he collapsed across a car and slid to the ground, he was shot again, also in the back.

The two soldiers were convicted of murder three years later and given life sentences. In his judgment, Lord Justice Kelly delivered a stinging rebuke to the pair, accusing YYYY YYYY of having "deliberately lied" and speaking witheringly of the frailty of XXXX's evidence. He said he considered both men "untruthful and evasive". Kelly's judgment was later upheld when the men's appeal against conviction was dismissed and they were also refused the right to take their case to the House of Lords.
Incidently, what happens to soldiers who cheat in gameshows? Why do they get kicked out of the army?

Tricam.