Calls grow to grant last Great War veteran a state funeral,

But no mention of the ARRSE campaign

Campaigners are demanding that the government honour the death of Britain's final First World War veteran with a state funeral, the first since that of Sir Winston Churchill 40 years ago.
Conservative MPs have lined up with Simon Weston, the Falklands war veteran, and Andrew Motion, the Poet Laureate, to back a proposal for a national event of pomp and pageantry usually reserved for monarchs. It would be held for the burial of the last person to serve in the 1914-18 conflict but would symbolise the passing of an entire generation which endured the horrors of the battlefield.
The original proposal by Laurence Robertson, a Tory MP, has now been put in writing to Tony Blair, and would require formal approval by the Queen. But while it has earned support in some quarters, the First World War Veterans Association said it would prefer its members to be celebrated while still alive.

Robertson, MP for Tewkesbury, said: 'It would give the country a chance to show its appreciation. It would be like a Remembrance Day parade, a commemoration of those who lost their lives and those who survived.'

The plan was endorsed by Simon Weston. 'It would be a very fitting tribute to all those who suffered through terrible, terrible times,' he said. 'All wars are nasty and horrible but this was a particularly terrible time in world history. A state funeral would be a wonderful gesture. One chap might be getting it, but all of them deserve it.'

There was also support from Andrew Motion, the Poet Laureate and editor of the anthology First World War Poems. He said: 'It's a good idea, provided that the service doesn't somehow dignify the poor old fellow to the point that the reality of war gets lost behind a glittering funereal facade. As long as it remains in touch with the actualities of war and is not pompous, it will be fine.'
Calls grow to grant last Great War veteran a state funeral

Daz

Perhaps a more fitting and permanent tribute would be to relegate Earl Haig's Whitehall statue to a less prominent site and replace it with a statue of the last Tommy, a grand old man, standing next to the 'first Tommy', a young life cut short.

Hey Booty Quality Idea

Booty, my God, a first, I agree wholeheartedly, outstanding idea.

All we need to do now is unpufferise you :D

Whole-hearted agreement from me, but I don't see it happening. If the best that they could find for the spare plinth at Trafalgar Square was this:

I can't see the glitterati that Bliar has invited to dictate our national attitude allowing such a monument to real heroes.

cpunk

LE
DozyBint said:
Whole-hearted agreement from me, but I don't see it happening. If the best that they could find for the spare plinth at Trafalgar Square was this:

I can't see the glitterati that Bliar has invited to dictate our national attitude allowing such a monument to real heroes.
Well done Dozy... we won't get a straight answer from MDN for the next six hours while he's in his masturbatory frenzy. :D