Calling Cold War Warriors: time to educate the kids

"This is a unique, free event, aimed particularly (but not only) at those under the age of 30, who never experienced the Cold War in the second half of the twentieth century."

Unfortunately it's not exactly BAOR themed; but it does look like a decent lineup for sending the snowflake generation off to in the hope they get a grip on what it was actually all for. (Something, for instance, that the "compassionate Gulag" crowd could conceivably benefit from.)

Details and registration here: COLD WAR: Then and Now?

Last edited:

NB. It's Staff, not Sgt.

Last edited:
"This is a unique, free event, aimed particularly (but not only) at those under the age of 30, who never experienced the Cold War in the second half of the twentieth century."

Unfortunately it's not exactly BAOR themed; but it does look like a decent lineup for sending the snowflake generation off to in the hope they get a grip on what it was actually all for. (Something, for instance, that the "compassionate Gulag" crowd could conceivably benefit from.)

I don't want to talk, write or think about it. It was hell! Hell I tell you!!

I don't want to talk, write or think about it. It was hell! Hell I tell you!!
For those of us who were there, the memories will be with us for ever.

I'll never forget what the Commies did to me when I penetrated East German territorial waters one dark night. The VHF sprung to life and said, in a thick German accent. Feck off back to international waters. For you Tommy, the war is over.

To this day I just thank God it was the East German Coast Guard rather than the Stazi.

For those of us who were there, the memories will be with us for ever.

I'll never forget what the Commies did to me when I penetrated East German territorial waters one dark night. The VHF sprung to life and said, in a thick German accent. Feck off back to international waters. For you Tommy, the war is over.

To this day I just thank God it was the East German Coast Guard rather than the Stazi.
I understand brother, you had to be there man!

Free sandwiches. What's the catch?

Sandwich, sausage, one?

Actually it would be Colour Sergeant and not Staff Sergeant
I stand corrected, we didn't have "Colour" in our mob. Ooh,,,,,, too slash the peak so it touched the nose.
I love drill, when it's done correctly.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

I'd go, just to relive the CW era, but I'll be reliving here instead - Oktoberfest London by Erdinger Weißbräu | Coming back in 2018

Cold War Tankies wore the cap badge over the nose/left eye..... Not over their left ear what seems to be the fashion.
...and I recall that the beret was pulled down on both sides equally.
As 11th Hussars, we never had a badge in the beret.
The story at the time, of pulling both sides down, was because of wearing earphones.
No vehicles had seat belts.
Chieftains had special bins for beer. Otherwise, they were crap.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I see from the programme, that they are covering things in 15-20 minutes bursts, obviously going into a lot of detail then!
1000-1005: Welcoming remarks and moderating throughout, Maria de Goeij (The Institute for Statecraft) Session 1: Europe Divided 1005-1020: Introduction: What was the Cold War? by Stephen Dalziel (Former BBC Russian Affairs Analyst) 1020-1040: Life on both sides of the Berlin Wall by Hannes Adomeit (Senior Research Fellow at the Institute for Security Policy at the University of Kiel) 1040-1100: Gathering Military Secrets: The Role of BRIXMIS by Major-General Peter Williams (Retired British Army officer who engaged in “legalised spying”) 1100-1120: Break Session 2: The Era of Hope 1120-1125: Introduction; We knocked down a Wall and started Building Bridges by Stephen Dalziel 1125-1145: NATO Reaches Out to the East Speaker TBA 1145-1205: Diplomacy in a Time of Hope by Robert Brinkley (British Ambassador to Ukraine, 2002-2006; also served in British Embassies in Germany and Russia) 1205-1225: “Meanwhile in the Baltic States…” Ambassador Laimonas Talat-Kelpsa (Lithuanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs)

Their assessment is that nobody under the age of 30 has an attention span long enough to cope with sessions longer than 20 minutes. Perhaps.

Is there an interview with someone from BAOR in piss stained jeans smelling of stale Fosters in a weatherspoons at 2 in the afternoon shouting he deserves a medal?

Last edited: