Calling All Linux Mint Geeks!

I have a dual boot system on my desktop - Windows and Linux Mint (v17.2 or something.)

I only occasionally boot into Mint for general housekeeping and updates. I have noticed recently that it will only boot into 'Software rendering mode', which is a virtually unusable screen resolution. In other respects, the Mint installation seems to be functioning normally. No other screen resolutions are available.

I don't really know what has happened, but it's as if the graphics driver (integral in the Linux Mint distro - I have an ATI graphics card) seems to have disappeared. I'm not sure why.

I do have an image of the Mint installation from last December, but wondered if there is a simpler way of getting things back up and running normally.

I don't know Mint at all, but can you tell it to redirect the hardware?

It's obviously seeing the card, otherwise you would get no video whatsoever, but for whatever reason it is not using the card's capabilities. Sounds like the kernel module is not loaded.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
redownload the LM graphics driver?

hotel_california

LE
Book Reviewer
Without your system spec and Linux mint distribution it would be difficult to offer a fix.
However, have you tried rolling back to your earlier graphics drivers?

Ceres

LE
Bin dual boot and go Linux Mint only. Some Windows update has (intentionally) knackered it.

I can't pretend to fully know my way around Mint, but this 'software rendering mode' seems to be the LM equivalent of Windows 'Safe Mode' which loads a minimum of everything at startup.

As far as rolling back the driver, I've never installed a graphics driver. The driver is the one integral to Linux Mint. This is SOP for Linux. I managed to get a Linux ATI driver from the AMD site to see if that would fix the issue, but it just gets spat out at installation.

It may not be a driver issue but a symptom of the 'software rendering mode' that is being loaded, indicating another problem.

Edit: Is it possible to do a system repair with the LM installation disk?

Make sure you have updated your Mint in case it's a known issue with the driver. Also, it's worth seeing if a reboot to mint, full shutdown and then boot back into mint makes a difference. Some versions of windows can leave hardware in an unusual state that means Linux doesn't/can't see them properly.

Make sure you have updated your Mint in case it's a known issue with the driver. Also, it's worth seeing if a reboot to mint, full shutdown and then boot back into mint makes a difference. Some versions of windows can leave hardware in an unusual state that means Linux doesn't/can't see them properly.
I'm actually in Mint at the moment (and going cross-eyed with the screen resolution) and doing an update. We'll see if it helps.

Ceres

LE
I'm actually in Mint at the moment (and going cross-eyed with the screen resolution) and doing an update. We'll see if it helps.
Good luck with this. Mint is the dogs doodads.

Screen resolution can be fixed in yr monitor if needs be.

Bin dual boot and go Linux Mint only. Some Windows update has (intentionally) knackered it.
Windows cannot read Linux filesystems out of the box. There are ways to add the capability, but nothing that a Windows update would install (i.e. Microsoft software). Ergo, it has not knackered Linux. The only way I can see that happening is if the Windows installation overwrote the MBR and returned it to single-boot Windows-only, stranding the Linux partitions.

Ceres

LE
Windows cannot read Linux filesystems out of the box. There are ways to add the capability, but nothing that a Windows update would install (i.e. Microsoft software). Ergo, it has not knackered Linux. The only way I can see that happening is if the Windows installation overwrote the MBR and returned it to single-boot Windows-only, stranding the Linux partitions.
Exactly. A feat Windows is notorious for.

No, the update didn't cure the problem. I powered down and booted back into Mint afterwards. Still the same.

Sure, but that would be at a very high level. I agree there is the possibility that Windows may fubar the Linux installation, but only to the point of removing the ability to boot into it, or even totally trashing the partitions.

What it is not going to do is access individual files within the Linux partitions and mess with those. It can't.

@Provost needs a jeweler's screwdriver and all that Windows has in its toolbox is a JCB.

No, the update didn't cure the problem. I powered down and booted back into Mint afterwards. Still the same.
Post a few more details of your system - mint version, CPU, video card make and model, PC manufacturer and model if a big name

Save your data then reinstall linux ?
Well, I was hoping that there was something a lttle simpler. As I said, I do have a disk image taken a few months ago and I may have to go that way. No rush. I'll leave this open and see if someone recognises a specific problem with an available simple fix.

It's always nice to know where exactly it's fallen down.

Latest Threads