Calling all gun nuts

Here's a question, can you fire 2 3/4" cartriges from a shotgun chamberd for 3" cartriges?As the cartrige opens into a shaping cone I am guessing you can (SAFELY!), but will it have an effect on shot patern/speed etc?
The reason I am asking is I am looking to get a new gun and if it is possible then why not get the Magnum variant , so giving me the option of firing either load/size.

Anyone know? :?

Try before you die ...

TRAZTAZ said:
Here's a question, can you fire 2 3/4" cartriges from a shotgun chamberd for 3" cartriges?As the cartrige opens into a shaping cone I am guessing you can (SAFELY!), but will it have an effect on shot patern/speed etc?
The reason I am asking is I am looking to get a new gun and if it is possible then why not get the Magnum variant , so giving me the option of firing either load/size.

Yes, you can. I've never had one chambered for 3" Magnum, but I have used 2 1/2" cartridges in a 2 3/4" gun many times.

Edited to add: I can't see it having any effect on shot pattern or speed at all, I suppose you'd have to give it a go to find out for certain though.

Are you asking if you can fire 2 cartriges from 1 barrel or if you can fit 3 cartriges into a magazine with 1 in the breach?

In any case don't try either as you will A end up dead or B will be breaking the law

mb43 said:
Are you asking if you can fire 2 cartriges from 1 barrel or if you can fit 3 cartriges into a magazine with 1 in the breach?

In any case don't try either as you will A end up dead or B will be breaking the law
Shotguns aren't your thing are they?

TRAZTAZ said:

Not a problem,just don't try to do it the other way round :evil: Joking apart you can safely fire 2 1/2 " and 2 3/4" cartridges in a 3" (Magnum) chambered gun.

Tartan_Terrier said:
mb43 said:

Shotguns aren't your thing are they?
Sorry just re-read the first post, yes you can do that it shouldn't have any noticable effect.

Infiltrator said:
Yes you can. It's trying it the other way round that's dangerous
Not completely convinced they would even fit the other way around..................

By the way thanks for the info guys

TRAZTAZ said:
Yes the gun wont go bang or Yes Turks cant build guns?
Yes the gun will go bang but only in the intended manner ;).

Some Turks can build guns, some turn out rubbish. I've seen quite a lot of the latter.

The chamber length represents the maximum length of cartridge you can chamber and/or fire.
It wont have any real effect on the velocity or shot pattern. These are determined by barrel length, and choke.

Thankyou for your response.
ExStab, you seen heard anything of this one?
Hoping to handle one tomorrow , off to the show in Dortmund.

Yes and just as well. I can't recall being tempted to use 3" shells on anything smaller than Goose or Turkey. Do you want spend dinner figuring out what's lead and what is broken fillings?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Acid_Tin The Other Half 17
OldSnowy Current Affairs, News and Analysis 1
Stained_Eligius Aviation 147