Calling all gong-spotters

Discussion in 'Medals' started by RP578, Mar 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Another antique uniform being flogged by 'hogspear' on ebay. Can anyone identify the last medal? I read the rest of them as:

KG, OBE, DSO with bar, 1939-45 Star, France-Germany Star, Defence Medal, War Medal with MiD, GSM 1918-62, George VI Coronation?, an the myster one. Possibly a foreign independence type I guess. From the uniform we know that the owner was a full General with Aviator and Para wings.

wjp3.jpg

2. Have you tried the British Medal Forum yet? Some of the lads on there take medal spottery to a whole new level.

3. The suspender loops look like they havent been used, for a row of 10 gongs you would expect them to extend right across the chest. Are they just out of shot?

is the legitimacy of this in question or just the final ribbon?

4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I think it would actually be 9 medals as the KG would be either round the neck or pinned to the left breast I think. In fact left pocket has 2 loops sewn vertically on the middle pleat, so it's probably the latter. Not questioning the authenticity, just curious as to what it might be.

Skint, I'm trying BMF, but having the devil of a time attaching an image to my post as all it seems to be capable of is linking from a url.

5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

6. Nigeria? Fuckin **** ten letter rule!

7. Im interested in this, and for the visually impaired its actually white orange and black.

8. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Hmmm. I'd say it was white, yellow, black. Compare it to the orange in the Defence Medal above it. And no, it's not Nigerian.

9. Is this item related to Hogspear's 1960's Para/ Aviator General's Mess Uniform? If so, it may be easier to work the other way if you can make out the name:

[​IMG]

Another photo of the mess dress shows a kilt, providing another avenue of approach, if you take my meaning.

10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Not bad at all!

This is the badger in the middle:

perak-PJK PPT PLP.jpg

Edited to add an Obit for Mogg from the Telegraph about 9 1/2 years ago (my bold):

General Sir John Mogg - Telegraph

11. Very good. Now, presuming that Hogspear's General's Dress Uniform and General's Mess Uniform belong to the same general, can someone explain the presence of the kilt?

12. He had a penchant for wearing skirts?