calling all 434 gurus

Eccy - thanks, I can now sleep at night. I have been working my brain towards remembering the Chobham Navigator but couldn't quite locate the memory file. It's been bothering me for days - I must lead a really sad life!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Thread_Bear said:
NO... they really cant swim any more. I have video evidence, I was commanding, i told my driver to "drive steady into the water then put your foot down and chase the bow wave".... well he actually nailed it into the lake, the bow wave came inside and we sunk to the bottom. i was stood on the commanders seat and the water was upto my knees!... My 434 was later re-named the kursk!!!!... The pictures of the incident are now all over the regiment being used as screen savers!!!... :oops:
Post them up then TB.

I can confirm that those brackets are for a navigation device,placed on an "A" frame away from the hull,so that the hull's magnetic influence did not send it screwy. Found that out as a class III A-Mech from a wise old A-Mech full screw and befeater is right there is a picture in the 430 series userhandbook.

Yep I have the said hand book and will try to upload a pic when scanned. The uhb mentions that the "Computer" was mounted to the rear of the automotive battery tray, cor technology eh, warrior didn't come with such gadgetry :wink:

Thread_Bear said:
Litotes said:
If you look carefully, the towing brackets are located below, and inside, the arrowed brackets. And they are larger!

The photo could be a lot better!

Litotes
sorry...... the photo is as good as it gets..... Its actually my phone that could be a lot better!!!

heres a close up.............
Thanks! The towing eye is clearly visible at the bottom of the picture. Nice patch of rust there - when was it last base overhauled?

I admit to being puzzled by the suggestions that these are for a nav aid. I thought I knew my armd veh electronics - and cannot remember that one. I remember the Navaid fitted to CF (mid-70s?) and the later PADS (80s).

Can anyone cast any further light on this nav eqpt?

Litotes

Litotes said:
Thread_Bear said:
Litotes said:
If you look carefully, the towing brackets are located below, and inside, the arrowed brackets. And they are larger!

The photo could be a lot better!

Litotes
sorry...... the photo is as good as it gets..... Its actually my phone that could be a lot better!!!

heres a close up.............
Thanks! The towing eye is clearly visible at the bottom of the picture. Nice patch of rust there - when was it last base overhauled?

I admit to being puzzled by the suggestions that these are for a nav aid. I thought I knew my armd veh electronics - and cannot remember that one. I remember the Navaid fitted to CF (mid-70s?) and the later PADS (80s).

Can anyone cast any further light on this nav eqpt?

Litotes
this is only a gess, the nav aid on the 434 was analog it took its info from the RH final drive much like a speedo cable, the pointer on the egpt head some how would work out if you had gone left of right and as long as the pointer was in the middle you were going in the right direction. just the thing for driveing across the north german plane!!!!!

The Navaid was also fitted to Chieftain MBT's and you had to wait for the bees-wax to melt before using it.

With regards to the questions about the Hi-Voltage signs, 434's used to carry power tools on them that were operated from the power socket at the back. Cant quite recall how it was done, but I think you took one of the links of the DB and connected a few cables somewhere else.
Was sacked in the mid-80's as to dangerous but was another couple of years before we had to stop dragging the bl**dy stuff round in the boot

Cutaway said:
Post them up then TB.
I know im gonna regret doing this....

if you look closely you can see my camnet (on top of my penthouse) and the winky pot just above the bow / tidal wave. !!! Really wasnt impressed with my driver at the time!!

stuck in the mud I pretty much lost my teddy at this point!!!

Litotes said:
The towing eye is clearly visible at the bottom of the picture. Nice patch of rust there -
That wagon doesnt actually belong to me, its just one i saw and decided to take the picture. To be honest i wouldnt be worrying about the rust pach.... i would be more bothered about the big patch of oil underneath the final drive! 8O

In 1972 I was in Bulford with the RA as a VM(B)A1E and the new VM(B)E A1* (Note the *) came in . The "*" meant you were trained on Wheeled A Vehs and the 430 series. As I had previously (10 years previously for about 14 months ) been with the RHG (The Blues) who were equipped with Daimler Armoured Cars, Daimler Scout cars (Dingoes) Ferrets and Saladin/Saracen I had to do the 430 course. I duly arrived at 27 Comd Wksp where there were about 6 432 that had been stripped so often that you only had to whistle and they changed their own power packs , spent a week driving round the workshop and duly passed out as VM(B)EAI*> I probably knew less about them than I do now having never again been in contact with them (or Wheeled A vehs for that matter). I can say I was a 1st Class battery fitter with the equipments that I knew and worked hard atgetting to know but had I been sent to , for instance , an armoured infantry bn or a RA SP Unit I would have been as much use as a fart in a bottle. The problem is , Do you need to get blokes to b etrained up equipment specific or be jack of all trades and master of none.

Very interesting CraftsmanX and after reading through your post this is my view and mine alone. When I went through Bordon I was on the the new VM(U) program..Five years later the Corps realised that they had f*cked up and streamed them back to A and B Mechs..Rght or wrong, I really honestly believe that any REME soldier worth his salt, working from First Principles, can REPAIR or BATTLEWORTHY any Equipment in his sphere. Playstation generation or not, the Lads coming through now are, in Principle, the same as their Predecessors.

Coming back to Bulford , doing gunnery camp and courses was 5 Lt Regt's idea of R&R. . We did a lot of time in Londonderry and Ballykelly. 4 deployments in 18 months.

craftsmanx said:
.....The problem is , Do you need to get blokes to b etrained up equipment specific or be jack of all trades and master of none.
You need to be trained on the basic technologies, and then trained on the eqpt so that you are competent and safe! As you gain experience, preferably on a range of eqpts under the guidance of your seniors, you will reach the stage where you can tackle anything. More importantly, you then become a trainer!

At least, that should be the plan. I note that 20 years ago, it was quite common to see cylinder heads removed and repaired in both the LAD and the Wksp, but I believe that would be a rare event these days.

Litotes