calling all 434 gurus

Discussion in 'REME' started by Thread_Bear, Sep 6, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Was having a debate at work today about the random brackets and holes on my wagon. No one is really sure what these brackets are for on the front of a 434. Checked around all the other variants but they are only on 434’s so they must only be relevant to us.

Our class 3 (19 year old) crafty said “it might be something to do with the swim kit” :? to which our Tiff replied “don’t be so fcuking daft, 43’s cant swim!!!” :scratch: :omfg:

So if anyone actually knows what they are, our fitter section would appreciate it.

thanx

[​IMG]

2. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

430 series can swim. I saw the original film at bordon in 1979. I felt like going out and buying one after that.

3. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Not sure what the rings are for but as to the statement that 43's can't swim - hmmmmmmh. Maybe not now but back in the 60's/70's, when I was on board (note the nautical implication) one that was doing a fecking good impression of swimming at Weser, I was pleased that they could swim.

Thank you for ruining some of my favourite (not) moments in a 432 when, during the crossing I was wondering when it will sink. That was a very thin 'collar' which kept the beast from becoming rather wetter than nature intended.

4. History

The FV432 was designed to be the armoured personnel carrier in the FV430 series. Production started in 1962 by GKN Sankey and ended in 1971 giving approximately three thousand vehicles.

The FV432 is an all steel construction. The FV432 chassis is a conventional tracked design with the engine at the front and the driving position to the right. Directly behind the driver position is the vehicle commander's hatch. There is a large split-hatch round opening in the passenger compartment roof and a side-hinged door in the rear for loading and unloading. In common with such an old design there are no firing ports for the troops carried - British Army doctrine has always been to dismount from vehicles to fight. The passenger compartment has five seats either side - these fold up to provide a flat cargo space.

Wading screens were fitted as standard, and the vehicle has a water speed of about 6 km/h when converted for swimming.

The FV432 with regular regiments is equipped with a pintle-mounted L7 GPMG, vehicles with the Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals had the Bren gun, they now subsequently also use the L7 GPMG. There are two three-barrel smoke dischargers at the front.

A number of surplus vehicles were sold to the Indian Army after being withdrawn from British service.

The FV432 is the armoured personnel carrier variant of the British Army's FV430 series of armoured fighting vehicles. Since its introduction in the 1960s it has been the most common variant used for transporting infantry on the battlefield. In the 1980s, almost 2,500 vehicles were in use, with around 1,500 still in operation - mostly in supporting arms rather than front-line infantry service.

Although the FV432 Series was going to be phased out of service while replaced by newer vehicles such as the Warrior and the CVR(T) series, they are now gradually being upgraded to extend their service through into the next decade.

In light of the army's need for additional armoured vehicles in the Afghan and Iraqi theatres, the Ministry of Defence announced in August 2006 that an extra 70 vehicles would be upgraded by BAE Systems in addition to 54 already ordered as part of their force protection initiative. The improvements take the form of an engine upgrade, new steering unit, and new braking system as well as improving armour protection to a level similar to that of the Warrior. The concept is that these FV430s will free up the Warrior vehicles for reserve firepower status and/or rotation out of theatre.

The first 430 mk3 equipment cse is being at Bordon at the end of Sep...

TAM

5. As far as I can see, the 434 you show does not have the swimming curtain fitted. IIRC they were all removed in the early 80s.

I cannot recall ever using those bits, other than something in which to stuff the cam pole. And I think one of those made a right mess of my leg when I fell off the front one dark night, many years ago! :lol:

But, really, if you feel like asking a similar question in the future, I recommend finding a dark room and lying down until the feeling has gone away; there lies madness. :lol:

Litotes

6. Yep I know they could swim i have actually seen that footage too... quite impressive... Dougie Cannon had loads of old AFV footage stashed away in A branch!! last time i visited bovi they had one with a splash curtain fitted, Im actually surprised that our crafty new about them swimming, but im even more surprised at the tiff who claims to be an "A mech through and through" had no idea what so ever .... mmmm TIFFIES!!! :roll:

7. I can confirm that too, Auld-Yin. I've been across the Weser about five times in 432s. Because they don't do it anymore, nobody believes what a shreddies-filling experience it is, since the whole 432 itself is actually far below the surface (with the driver) and it's only that flimsy screen holding the water back (and bulging ominously inwards). I also never really trusted the Mae Wests we used to have to wear.

Those were the days. :D :D :D

MsG

8. NO... they really cant swim any more. I have video evidence, I was commanding, i told my driver to "drive steady into the water then put your foot down and chase the bow wave".... well he actually nailed it into the lake, the bow wave came inside and we sunk to the bottom. i was stood on the commanders seat and the water was upto my knees!... My 434 was later re-named the kursk!!!!... The pictures of the incident are now all over the regiment being used as screen savers!!!... :oops:

9. Remember being told 434 wasn't a floater because the HIAB made it lopsided in the water, same thing applied to 439 with twin roof mounted generators behind the commanders hatch. Also was told 434 wasn't as robust cross country as the hydraulic track tensioners (used to lock the tracks when using the HIAB) couldn't handle too much rough stuff.

Ain't got a scooby what them lugs are for but I was only a scaly :lol:

10. I want to know why it was only the REMEs that got that fab wee step in front of the right track. Oh yes and what was the daft yellow "High voltage AE" sign all about? Maybe they were on 50W all the time? (Being of the Chieftain generation I clambered over the "four" a few million times).

11. I'm fairly sure they were used when towing but I am going back to the mid 70's in BAOR. We still had mark ones (petrol) although REME had mark twos.

12. If memory serves, Dave, but didn't they have those huge eyelets welded vertically onto the front for towing?

MsG

13. F*ck me, eye sight obviously f*cked, mind you photo is blurred or is that just me! No ans required.

14. this is my first post!!! the brackets on the front were for a navigation device that had a large "A" frame that sat in the two holes supported by cables from the top decks, then a drive cable came from the right hand final drive to a pionter that sat at the end of the "A"frame. i never ever saw one but there was a nice photo in the old 432 UHB.

15. If you look carefully, the towing brackets are located below, and inside, the arrowed brackets. And they are larger!

The photo could be a lot better!

Litotes