Called up + still got holidays to take..

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by johnjohn, Jul 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All

got the call up papers through for the start of september, i still have 8 days holiday to take.

my work are really turning on the arse factor now. we leave on a friday so i asked if i could have at least the thursday and wednesday off and they said no as i hadnt given them enough notice (over a month away??)

anyway, i still have 8 days left, am i still entitled to these days? i cant carry them over until i come home

2. Ohhh, its a good question. Spoken to Sabre?

I suspect that either:

1. You won't get 'owt
    2. They might not let you take the time off but will have to pay you for the holiday you weren't able to take.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You really meant to say I've volunteered for ops and want to use all my leave from work up so I dont miss out whilst my firm takes up the slack and everyone else works harder whilst I'm away Jack?
  4. no not yet,

ill look up a contact number

what they are saying is that they want to take back my laptop that i got 2 years ago when i started (as i wont be needing it) however it has a wadge of personal stuff on and itll be handy when im away.

what i was going to say was instead of paying me for my holidays just let me keep the laptop - i do realise that 8 days equals quite an expensive laptop!!
  5. see above

i dont need the holidays but they would be a handy bargaining tool
  6. Do women on maternity leave get to keep their laptops while they’re off work for 12 months?
    Doubtful and the same will probably apply to you.

Get all your personal data off your laptop, hand it back and pull a sicky in the last 2-3 days of work.

“sorry boss, can’t come into work today. I have a bad case of the sniffles and I need to be fighting fit to give the sand bunnies the old heave-ho at the weekend”
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Dont expect much from your employer regarding benfits or even continuance of service whilst you are away. You have volunteered for ops, its not the same as having no choice. Contrary to popular belief I am in support of those who volunteer to go but remember the rest of the country isnt at war let alone in 2 sandpits unlike the services so whilst you will get support remember that your employer can legally give you very little as its going to cost him a few bob to cover your absence.
    I wouldnt be surprised if he asked you to take the deployment out of your holiday entitlement!
  8. Are you sure you're entitled 8 days? By not working x number of months i'd hazard a guess you're not.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I suspect that by time served he gets his annual entitlement in full, whether or not he has to start again on return is another issue.
  10. Are you able to sell your holiday back? My place has a scheme where you can sell up to 5 days of your leave anually obviously minus tax and NI.
  11. thats what im going for

but i want to know that im able to, they are being awkward enough as it is
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If they are being sh1tty and you dont really want the job at the moment then push for everything that you are entitled to in law and let them sweat whilst you are away over an employment tribunal on your return.
    Edited to add that a year away may change your outlook anyway!
    good luck!
  13. In situations like this my favorite saying is, "Stick your job up your fcuking arrse!" But then again its not like I'm an astronaut or open heart surgeon.

I too will be there at the end of August, and have already jacked my job!

Good Luck!
  14. I doubt you will get your holidays Johnny boy. Do you really need the holidays? You are off on an extended holiday as it is(yes I know where you're going) :wink: :D .

Just pop a sicky for the last week before you go, 9-11 months later, when you return, face the sicky music. Hardly likely to cause you much grief is it? As for the laptop, keep it, what can they do? Sweet FA that's what. I doubt very much they'd send anyone out to where you're going to retrieve it. :D
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I wonder if the office it team will make home calls when he phones it in with sand in the dvd player?