Callan

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by REMFQuestions, May 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is this show any good?

I don't want to waste my time burning it to disc if not. But I have heard his name bandied about quite a lot on arrse and the Int forum.

Sorry Mods - can this be moved to the Film and TV section?

2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

If it,s the late 60,s early 70,s series with Edward woodward, it,s brilliant.

3. I thought he was the Equalizer? I have those...they are brilliant.

4. I second that!

5. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

you youngster you!! :)

6. Just wikipedia'd it. He WAS Callan. Well. I might give the first series a whirl. If anyone wants the link then drop me a PM.

7. Callan - brilliant! Also the slimy Toby Meers and the niffy Lonely.

8. Callan was brill, best seen in black and white. Edward Woodward far superior than in The Equaliser. Reminisced with office colleagues over Callan only last week, lonely an interesting character. I think there were at least four series plus a film. Happy Days.

9. ‘Callan’ was an interesting alternative to the Bond type. Minimalist offices, inadequate wages, notable absence of glamour, internal pettiness – an attempt to offer something suggesting domestic ‘realism’. Similar, say, Harry Palmer – though MI5 rather than MI6 - but less cerebral than le Carré. Callan, like Holmes, occasionally abandoning ‘the book’ to follow his own opinion.

If you like Callan, also try Public Eye, British alternative to American private eye glamour of the time – or our version of Philip Marlowe? ;)

No.9

10. Wasn't the main character a man called 'Marker'? I used to really enjoy that.

11. I will do just that. Thanks for the tip

12. JoeCivvie - "Wasn't the main character a man called 'Marker'? I used to really enjoy that."

Absolutely.
    [​IMG]

Memorable quote (approx); "No I'm not armed, but these shoes are double soled leather and will go straight through your fancy trousers." 8O

No.9

13. I remember the original series. At the time it was rumoured that one episode was stopped in mid transmission because of a D-Notice. I think it was the one where they smuggle someone around in a milk or petrol tanker. Don't know if that was true or not, but it can't have harmed the ratings.

Hope I don't get moved to a red file for that.

14. Callan was an ex-Cpl in some infantry mob, who had somehow got himself saddled (in Borneo?) with an undeserved reputation as a cold-bloodedly efficient killer, and then - because he got into some sort of bother which might have left him banged up for a long long time time (mebbe that's where he met Lonely) - was blackmailed into doing dirty work for some murky and un-named gunmint security service.

If I remember correctly, that is hinted at in the TV show, but (unless I am hallucinating - entirely likely, you understand) it was spelled out more in a short novel written by the series creator. FFS - don't ask for the title

An even lower-budget Harry Palmer: very much of its time, and an altogether excellent show.

15. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Was there not a film made as well or is my not entirely dependable memory on the blink again?

I seem to recall that Callan has to kill a German bloke who is a wargamer? Haven't seen it for years though.