• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Callan

#1
Is this show any good?

I don't want to waste my time burning it to disc if not. But I have heard his name bandied about quite a lot on arrse and the Int forum.

Sorry Mods - can this be moved to the Film and TV section?
 
#8
Callan was brill, best seen in black and white. Edward Woodward far superior than in The Equaliser. Reminisced with office colleagues over Callan only last week, lonely an interesting character. I think there were at least four series plus a film. Happy Days.
 
#9
‘Callan’ was an interesting alternative to the Bond type. Minimalist offices, inadequate wages, notable absence of glamour, internal pettiness – an attempt to offer something suggesting domestic ‘realism’. Similar, say, Harry Palmer – though MI5 rather than MI6 - but less cerebral than le Carré. Callan, like Holmes, occasionally abandoning ‘the book’ to follow his own opinion.

If you like Callan, also try Public Eye, British alternative to American private eye glamour of the time – or our version of Philip Marlowe? ;)

No.9
 
#10
No.9 said:
‘
If you like Callan, also try Public Eye, British alternative to American private eye glamour of the time – or our version of Philip Marlowe? ;)

No.9
Wasn't the main character a man called 'Marker'? I used to really enjoy that.
 
#11
No.9 said:
‘Callan’ was an interesting alternative to the Bond type. Minimalist offices, inadequate wages, notable absence of glamour, internal pettiness – an attempt to offer something suggesting domestic ‘realism’. Similar, say, Harry Palmer – though MI5 rather than MI6 - but less cerebral than le Carré. Callan, like Holmes, occasionally abandoning ‘the book’ to follow his own opinion.

If you like Callan, also try Public Eye, British alternative to American private eye glamour of the time – or our version of Philip Marlowe? ;)

No.9
I will do just that. Thanks for the tip
 
#12
JoeCivvie - "Wasn't the main character a man called 'Marker'? I used to really enjoy that."

Absolutely.


Memorable quote (approx); "No I'm not armed, but these shoes are double soled leather and will go straight through your fancy trousers." 8O

No.9
 
#13
I remember the original series. At the time it was rumoured that one episode was stopped in mid transmission because of a D-Notice. I think it was the one where they smuggle someone around in a milk or petrol tanker. Don't know if that was true or not, but it can't have harmed the ratings.

Hope I don't get moved to a red file for that.
 
#14
Callan was an ex-Cpl in some infantry mob, who had somehow got himself saddled (in Borneo?) with an undeserved reputation as a cold-bloodedly efficient killer, and then - because he got into some sort of bother which might have left him banged up for a long long time time (mebbe that's where he met Lonely) - was blackmailed into doing dirty work for some murky and un-named gunmint security service.

If I remember correctly, that is hinted at in the TV show, but (unless I am hallucinating - entirely likely, you understand) it was spelled out more in a short novel written by the series creator. FFS - don't ask for the title

An even lower-budget Harry Palmer: very much of its time, and an altogether excellent show.
 

Sixty

ADC
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#15
Was there not a film made as well or is my not entirely dependable memory on the blink again?

I seem to recall that Callan has to kill a German bloke who is a wargamer? Haven't seen it for years though.
 
#17
archer said:
It was Malaya not Borneo
James Mitchell the creator wrote -IIRC 4 books.
Also try the film Innocent Bystanders- another Mitchell story
Indeed it was - shoulda written "somewhere junglie, patrolled by national sevicemen" :oops:
 
#18
Stonker said:
Callan was an ex-Cpl in some infantry mob, who had somehow got himself saddled (in Borneo?) with an undeserved reputation as a cold-bloodedly efficient killer, and then - because he got into some sort of bother which might have left him banged up for a long long time time (mebbe that's where he met Lonely) - was blackmailed into doing dirty work for some murky and un-named gunmint security service.

If I remember correctly, that is hinted at in the TV show, but (unless I am hallucinating - entirely likely, you understand) it was spelled out more in a short novel written by the series creator. FFS - don't ask for the title

An even lower-budget Harry Palmer: very much of its time, and an altogether excellent show.
Wasn't there a spoof spy program around the same time, where the hero was a coward and empoyed some one else to do his missions?
 

Latest Threads