Call ups and redundancy

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by ssupersixfour, Oct 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. One for the lawyer-types this...

Say you got made redundant.

You hadn't got another job.

Then you got called-out.

What wage to you get? Presumably, if you don't have a job, you'll get called out at the wage for your rank. Does anyone have any similar experience who could confirm?

2. With our lot, If you were employed at the time of Call out it was based on the last 52 weeks earnings.

If you were gainfully unemployed (even by a day) then you embrace the militaries pay structure for your rank.

This was highly inconvinent for my mate who lost his lucrative publishing job two weeks before Jan 03
  3. The FAQ doesn't explicitly answer the question I was asking but I acknowledge it is there and that you can infer an answer from it.
  4. A colleague of mine on Telic 2 was in that situation.

He had been made redundant from his lucrative civvy job in finance in the City a couple of weeks before. On the day he received his call up papers he was unemployed. He got a basic Army Captains salary for his period of service.

He appealed against this but was not succesful.

I suggest that an appeal against call up in the grounds of financial hardship might be a possible way forward - ie you acknowledge the Army cant pay you any more under the current regulations but simply cant go for welfare reasons ie that your civvy bills are more than your Army salary.

However since effectively if you dont "volunteer" at the moment you wont get mobilised anyway most people can control the situation such that this does not affect them.
  5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I am pretty sure that, under the terms of the current legislation (SI859/2005 - which projects your earnings 'forward') you will dip out. You weren't earning on the day before mobilisation, then tough.