Call up from the reserve for sigs?

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Alsacien, Nov 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Does it happen to sigs? If so which trades/how long out? I am curious as moving house right now revealed the "open in case of war" box full of all sorts of goodies...some of which I recall I was meant to keep.
  2. Yep, 66 deployed at the mo.
  3. I'd keep it. Unless it is full of puttees and 37 pattern webbing...
  4. Christ, that's a bit old isn't it?
  5. I hope they try to call me back up, fcukers take enough of your life from you we will see if I go back when Iran/Syria/North Korea kicks off in 1/2/3/4/5 years time from now...

(delete as appropriate)
  6. How long do you have to be a born again civvy before you're taken off the reserve list? I've been out for about six years, but can't remember.
    Not that it'll make much diff' to me anyhoo, two fcuked knees and an arthroscopy.
    I'll prolly need stretchering into the war-zone.
    Too much running around in boots perhaps (footwear....not the shop).
  7. You are liable for callup until you would have completed 22 years service.
    So, if you did 12 years and left 5 years ago then you have 5 years of watching your back to go!!!!
  8. I think that its actually longer than that, you are liable for call up until the age of 60 but this has to be full blown war.

If you have not completed your 22 colour service then you are liable the the remainder as a reservist.

If you have completed your 22 then your are liable as stated above.

Unless a shiny arse can give some insight?
  9. Not aware of any reservist being compulsary mobilised since they started using TA(now also called reservists) on Telic.

Its too expensive to mobilise an ex-regular, they need around 4-5 to fill one post, wioth the TA its less than 2.5 (only one person gets deployed, the rest fall by the way side). Those were figures from Telic 1-2, I'd guess its dropped seeing as its now only volunteers from both types of reserves
  10. Cow

Cow LE

66 Deployed? I know TA are still mobalised but why Reservist? Don't think they could deploy me now, my knees are also shot! Would they use un-deployable people to replace others who are fit?
  11. As Polar has suggested they will try to get volunteers from the TA, I think it is called Voluntary Compulsary Mobilisation. They volunteer but then the Government compulsary mobilies them to ensure that they have all the rights of job left open etc etc.

Whether or not they have compulsary mobilised any reservists I do not know.
  12. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

As a former expert on equipment that now occupies the corp museum I wonder what use I would be anyway - 6 months of guard commander in a rear party I expect.
    Still as fit as I was when I left 10 years ago proud to say, but my attitude sucks - I could not take that shit anymore, especially from SNCO's that I probably trained as sprogs/nigs....probably get jailed/busted within a week.
  13. Whats the sketch with injuries then? Im currently carrying one which will not be better by the time I get out. So if I was injured because of work then surely they can't call me back up.

Not that Id go back if they tried but still would be nice to know they're not going to come knocking on my door 5 minutes after im out the front gate.
  14. I suppose it depends. I got out whilst medically downgraded - feck all cartilidge in one knee following doing lots of phys on a knee I should have rested. Was told it would be alright by the military doctor and pain was to be expected. Went to see a civvy quack and was told that if I carried on I'd be in a wheelchair in 6 months...

Anyway (that's just background). Shortly after leaving I got a nice letter asking would I like to go on a jolly to a lovely place called Afghanistan. I sent my civvy doctors notes to them saying "yes, as long as you pay for a new knee that you owe me and 6 months recuperation". funnily enough I have never been invited back again :)
  15. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

You'd be surprised how many Regular Reserve are on Ops at the moment - and not just R Sigs either. There are simply not enough TA 'volunteering' to be mobilised, so the Reg Reserve have to take up the slack.

Plus of course a lot of them are 'serial offenders' - leave the Regs, and go on an Op Tour when you want to? There is something to be said for that :)