Call Out vs Employer

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by chewbacca, Apr 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I received my call up papers last week although it seems my work in their wisdom have decided that they are going to contest.....I am very disappointed on a number of things but mainly because they are contradicting the own company policy on supporting the reserve forces, and they really don't have a genuine case. Personally I don't think they have a chance as its a global company and I am small fish. I hope that the Adjudication Officer will see that this is the case and tell my company where to go!

I was wondering if anyone out there has been a similar situation and what the outcome was?

2. My employer won (they said they couldn't support a government department if I went)

3. msr

msr LE

I have heard that 87% of employer appeals are successful.

The MOD don't want to / can't afford to / upset employers.

msr

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Lets face it its hardly a national emergency going to fight two seperate wars with only a couple of brigades is it?

5. Is the job worth keeping?

6. 87% that's a lot higher than I thought!
    This is really annoying as I think this is really an unjustified appeal. Regardless if its a national emergency or not there is obviously a need for me to be mobilised. My beef is that it is not going to have a noticeable impact on the company and given that there is financial assistance any impact should be minimal
    It should stand by what it says when I joined "Supports volunteer and reserve forces"

7. i was told if your employer appeals the MOD wont contest it. there are always other men available who's employers wont appeal.

remember fella the order of priorities family, civi job, then TA.

if you dont have a family to support and dont value your job then go for it. I for one would advise you to focus on your civi job there will always be other tours

8. Yea thats the problem the job is worth keeping although should they get it their way.....I will try and find a job that is true to its word a "support"!

Its more of a point principle now :evil:

If I was on the sick it would be tolerated

If I were pregnant it would be accepted

9. Name and shame them

10. Don't let them make you pregnant Chewy...

11. Life is too short to let nobs like these push you around.

I'm not saying sack it, but it's obviously bothering you, so why not shop around for a new job whilst staying with your old one.

-edit- I've just re-read your post and I see that's exactly what you are doing, good for you mate.

12. Try calling your regional Sabre rep (contact numbers on on sabre's website). I've known a couple of cases where ours has helped persuade employers to release people.

13. Lower than I thought, does the figure include the period of compulsary mobilisations.

Chewie, didn't you ask your boss before you applied? I reckon your on thin ice if your boss works out you volunteered

14. I've recently found out that one of the directors of the organisation I work for is in the TA. I've arranged a small meeting with him just to find out how my employer stands with regards to TA service (as I'm fairly new) and how they have reacted when he has mobilised in the past. Should be an interesting fact finding mission.

I asked my boss at my interview however he wasn't sure of the answers because he had never dealt with members of the TA before. However getting answers from someone near the top and in a similiar position should uncover answers that the admin guys will take forever to find out.