ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Call of Duty to help veterans into work in UK

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by napier, Sep 12, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

Activision has announced that The Call of Duty Endowment, a US charitable fund that provides grants to help veterans find high-quality employment, is expanding its support to the UK.

The Endowment helps veterans find high-quality careers by supporting groups that prepare them for the job market and by raising awareness of the value vets bring to the workplace.

This non-profit US charitable fund was founded in 2009 by Bobby Kotick, the CEO of Activision Blizzard, who has also been ably assisted by General James L. Jones, a former NATO Commander and National Security Advisor to President Barack Obama as well as Dan Goldenberg, a veteran and captain in the U.S. Navy Reserve.

The primary goal of the Endowment was to identify and fund best-in-class organisations to place 25,000 veterans in jobs by the end of 2018.

But through hard work, that goal was met two years early, providing more than £19 million pounds in funding to best-in-class non-profit organisations and placing more than 37,000 U.S. veterans into full-time jobs with an average 2016 starting salary of £42,000.

Makers Of Call of Duty Game Launch Scheme To Get UK Veterans Employed

• Like Like x 8
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. That's actually a cracking idea.

3. Well if they're resources are capable of putting 37,000 US veretans in full time employment then I only see this as a constructive and positive move.

4. On the face of it a positive message, but as you read the detail the philanthropic intention doesn't appear to be all that it first seems.

Two points of concerns - the number of veterans they talk about getting into work, it always sets alarm bells ringing when they focus more on the numbers. This work, is it suitable? Is the veteran interested? Is there a cost to the veteran (for training etc)?

The scheme is funded by special packs sold with call if duty - hardly a selfless act, more a twisted sales pitch.

This has already been done by Barclays with the AFTER program, it has three pillars (I) recognising military talent, (ii) recognising and supporting reserve service (iii) Philanthropic effort with regards to the military community - in Barclays case this became a £1m payment to the soldiers charity of 3 (may have been 4 years), primarily for those seeking to retrain/reskill.

This became the corporate covenant, signed by quite a few companies, including local councils and well worth checking if going for a position with anyone.

A lot of work goes into the AFTER program, looking after veterans takes more than flashing the cash.

However, I am being cynical of Activision's intentions, it could be a great thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Call of Doody.

Almost as funny as Sprog Cat.

6. I dont think they are going to struggle selling the game - and people can choose to buy a regular (cheaper game) that doesn't help Veterans.

What is 'Suitable' work - if it pays 42k a year and a veteran wants/needs a job..you do what is necessary.

7. I did a stint doling out hot soup and bun to down and outs in parts of London years ago. The number of ex military was quite surprising.
    Even if it only gets them a job wot pays for a bedsit and a beer now and again, its better than seeing them huddling in doorways in the rain of an evening. If it gets them better , then I'm chuffed to eff for 'em.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. "In the UK, funds for the scheme are to be raised via a new in-game purchase for its Black Ops III game."

It's not really something for nothing though.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Well they don't have to do it, but they do and that's good. Further, they def don't have to do it in the UK so once again (like MOD90 recognition in the US), we're benefitting from US generosity. Though I guess some users will continue to bit the hand etc..

37K jobs @ $19m = $500 to get a guy a $42K job which sounds like a good deal.

• Like Like x 6