Call of duty: stealth smartphone is latest SAS weapon

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Sunday Times
    March 28, 2010
    Call of duty: stealth smartphone is latest SAS weapon

Michael Smith
    RECOMMEND? (1)
    THE SAS is in line for the ultimate hands-free smartphone: a futuristic communications system developed with technology used in popular computer games such as Call of Duty. It will allow troops to see what their comrades see elsewhere on the battlefield and to talk to them as if they were standing side by side.

Scientists are developing a highly covert system, using wi-fi networks such as those present in computers, that will be built into the troops’ clothing and require them to do nothing but talk
  2. He's been reading trials results from the late 90s!!
  3. Network enabled warfare... its the future especially with technical abilities such as "ricochet reception".
  4. Does this sound like FIST or what?
  5. In Service Date: 10 years after its needed and massively over budget.
  6. Code:
    He's been reading trials results from the late 90s!! 
    And you are - probably deliberately - ignoring the bandwidth issues of doing this on the frontline that have been solved by this research.

Not trials results from the 90s. The latest stuff being worked on with DSTL and published in their in-house journal Codex.
  7. Whatever next.Guns that fire around corners?
  8. Wahhh :)

It's still a Glock on a stick though.
  9. Thanks BZ.If I'd had one of those on The Balcony,things would have been very different I tell you.
  10. But its a very impressive stick though [insert bishop/actress joke]

11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I've been using stealth phones for years. I hide one in the inside pocket, where it can't be seen.
  12. Nothing beats Nazi science!!

13. "Trials results from 90s" and "latest stuff being worked on" is by no means a contradiction. That can, and does in this case, mean there has been a long delay in getting the next phase of work under contract. I read the ST piece. None of it will be unfamiliar to anyone who worked in ITDU or Fort Halstead in the mid-late 90s. The published in-service date of at least one component was 2000.