Call for Jamming Mobile Phones in Prison

There has been a call for the jamming of mobile phones in prison's Link but at a cost of £250k per prison the Government does not want to do it and is instead bringing yet more laws to combat it.

Personally I think jamming the phones would be a good thing and the cost is not that great considering the other shite they waste money on.

re-stilly said:
There has been a call for the jamming of mobile phones in prison's Link but at a cost of £250k per prison the Government does not want to do it and is instead bringing yet more laws to combat it.

Personally I think jamming the phones would be a good thing and the cost is not that great considering the other shite they waste money on.
Or you could just take their mobile phones away and it would cost nothing.

re-stilly said:

Considering the amount the sleazy Labour pigs put on expenses, the amount per nick is chickenfeed.

Agreed. Bearing in mind the prisons are full to the rafters and we are turning convicted criminals loose as we have no beds for them, what's the point of criminalising possesion of these phones and keeping in people who would otherwise be released. We have the technology, we'd only waste it on MP's duckponds and subsidised resturants so we might as well use it.

re-stilly said:

I think I read that it costs £500 per week to house/feed/guard a prisoner so frankly it sounds like about **** all given the prison population.

There is 136 prisons in the UK so it would cost £34 million to buy the kit to jam mobiles, which could stop a large amount of crime being committed in the first place.

They keep trying to stop phones from being smuggled in but are unsuccessful, so surely this would be the way forward. If the phone won't work demand will cease.

Markintime said:
re-stilly said:

Problem is, some bright spark inmate and some bright spark lawyer would soon start bleating that searching for them would be against individuals' human rights...

Instead of jamming the network with all it's accompanying costs and legal difficulties how about installing these.

Every time it goes off then the guards go and search everyones cell until a phone is found.

My two local prisons, Craiginches (Aberdeen) and Peterhead are both built of solid granite. I would be amazed if an inmate could get a sigmal inside the buildings!!

I actually find it pretty unbelievable that inmates are allowed phones in the first place..and TV's, Radios, ..food and water!!

But hey ho, better to have them in a nice warm cell with all the benefits than have them wandering the streets :roll:

bobjugs12 said:
Instead of jamming the network with all it's accompanying costs and legal difficulties how about installing these.

Every time it goes off then the guards go and search everyones cell until a phone is found.
Well - if they are the same model as fitted in one MOD building I used to frequent, they aren't very effective, either failing to detect mobiles or alarming when no mobile is present.

C_C

we had a demo in blanford once and they jammer wasnt big or expensive according to the DS

jarrod248 said:
Markintime said:
re-stilly said:

They may be difficult to remove from the places they keep them.
I'm sure you'd be willing to take one for the team on this Jarrod ;)

bobjugs12 said:

The only problem with that is that they would have to be quite numerous to cover the whole prison. Plus once the inmates found one I am sure it wouldn't be on the wall very long.

The system they are proposing would cover the whole site not just sections of it.

Would it not be cheaper to cut off the fingers of all the inmates ?

A typical New Labour response
The Ministry of Justice said it was already an offence to smuggle a phone into prison and that a new bill included laws intended to make it illegal to possess one in jail.
Er, they're criminals who are in prison. They don't give a feck if somethings illegal or not, plainly, because if they did they wouldn't engage in activities which would get them time in the pokey. Surely easier, more effective, and cheaper in the long run just to jam the signals?

£250K per nick seems steep given the very modest price of units from China that will knacker GSM reception up to 75m radius and produce signal ranging from utterly shite through to just a bit iffy out to to 200m even in a strong signal area.

Allegedly.

re-stilly said:
Fair old markup for someone there methinks. £60 gets you a jammer with a 60M range. You won't need too many of those to mess things up for the lags.

Blogg said:
£250K per nick seems steep given the very modest price of units from China that will knacker GSM reception up to 75m radius and produce signal ranging from utterly shite through to just a bit iffy out to to 200m even in a strong signal area.

Allegedly.
Remember this is an out to tender Government tender so profit margins of at least 1000% plus bungs for ministers have to be included in the cost. Equipment may only cost £19.99 plus P&P