Call for debate on Killer Robots

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by T_M_H, Aug 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Had so much potential, i actually felt a little let down after reading it!

No stompy robots yet!

BBC Linky
  2. ...otherwise known as a "war"... :roll:

If it works, people will use it...!
  3. He's obviously not aware of Asimov and the 3 Laws of Robots of over 60 years ago. Calls himself an academic does he?

4. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

We certainly need a reasoned debate on killer robots. They, along with flying monkeys, venomous bats and giant tarantulas are a menace to mankind. What we need is a handsome army captain, working with a glamourous female scientist ( beautiful when she takes off her glasses and lets her hair fall loose) to defeat them. Preferably by finding out that they are helpless to the common cold, or water or something, then the handsome captian and the glam female will fall into each others arms while the comedy sergeant will make a wise crack.
  5. I think you'll find that doesn't happen in real life. In real life, the handsome Captain is gay, and cannot be killed. I believe that in real life, the Sergeant does get the crack, but it's a bit rough, dry and it seems that lots of people have been there before, some of them harbouring fatal diseases.
  6. More PC BS

The word Robot comes from Czech, and Asimov ripped the whole thing off from Karek Capek's book R U R Rossum's Universal Robata in 1921
  7. It was actually Karel's brother who invented the word. He was a cubist y'know.

'Robot' is a much abused name for all things mechanical. In the original word, it was meant to mean mechanical humanoids, but the meme has grown to include all things mechanical and moving by electrical signal, thus an autonomous UAV might be called a Robot, when in truth, it's an autonomous UAV. A mobile mechanical arm in a factory gets the title 'robot arm', as does the remote control arm of a submersible.
  8. I've seen Battlestar Galactica. I know where this will end!
  9. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Oh no, when it is all done in black and white, and has Anne Baxter as the female it works just as I said.
  10. No I did not, But I did a degree in Computer Aided Engineering at the University of Glamorgan that covered robotics
  11. Well I sit next to a Killer Robot....well bits of one... its never done me any harm.....

12. Fuck that its the Terminators you need to worry about.
  13. The one I spent six months programing at BAE Bristol drove me mad
  14. So the debate is -Terminators or Cylons, which are cooler? Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where they go to that sci-fi convention 'Tonight at BiMonSciFiCon-Robot wrestling-the mighty robots of Battlestar Galactica vs the gay robots of Star Wars!' Threepio definitely gay...
  15. Cylons every time - especially Number 6