Cake

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by 29072010, Sep 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. You know how sometimes you just need cake? Well:

one egg
    4 tablespoons S.R Flour
    4 tablespoons caster sugar
    3 tablespoons milk
    3 tablespoons melted butter

put some jam or treacle or golden syrup in the bottom of either a big mug or small bowl, chuck the mixture on top microwave for 2-3 mins.

and there you go cake in under ten minutes!!

2. Can anyone give me a recipe for a Welsh farmhouse fruit cake?

3. Bara Brith (Welsh Fruitcake)

Soak 10oz. mixed dried fruit in 2 cups hot tea, cover and let stand overnight.

Strain the fruit, saving the liquid. Add 3 oz. brown sugar, grated rind of a lemon, 1 ¼ teaspoons spice (any mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice), 1 egg and 12oz. self-rising flour to the fruit.

Add the liquid a bit at a time until the batter is of soft, dropping consistency. Pour into a greased brown paper lined 2lb. loaf pan and bake at 350F for 45-55 minutes until firm to the touch.

4. A good recipe matey but no way would Mrs. Powell use half of the specials. The weight is fairly accurate though and it was baked in a round tin..

What I loved about it was this. After a few days the cake got better as the fruit started to weep into the texture of the cake.

The second best I had was in Brecon market a few years back. A couple of ladies had a shop on the left hand side just as you entered the market opposite the butcher. I bought the whole thing. I can still hear the groans from behind.