Caffiene versus Creatine

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by polar69, Oct 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, i'll admit it, sometimes I go out for a run or do a cft and to be honest I feel a bit old. Not because I consider myself to be unfit or because I like to get ratted and drink the mother in law under the table, but just down to the fact that I'm getting a bit past my sell by date.

Anyway, enough about that, lets talk about me. Im not going to see my 30's again, am an average height and build. I run 3 times a week and go to the gym at least twice. Im no superman ( mainly due to the fact he's dead ) but I have in the past done a marathon.

These days when I go on courses the majority of bods seem to be nearly half my age, I need to keep up with them, I have to be a leader - due to my rank, and also need to keep up with them to save face. I refuse to be Mr Bumble bringing up the rear with the fat wheezy kids. (So to speak )

In the past I've trained using sports drinks, sports gels and the like, which mostly seem to contain carbohydrates.

However these days I've seen a lot more products on the market containing Caffeine, and of course more and more Creatine and the like. Now I now Creatine is meant to be "ok" because its a naturally occuring substance in the body and apparently an effective lactic acid blocker but what about caffeine .......How does that compare against sports drinks, creatine etc etc.

2. Caffeine is used to lean yourself, and help burn that little bit of extra fat. It's not supposed to be a performance enhancer.

Creatine is used to help provide bulk when working out on the weights, also not a performance enhancer.

Unless things have moved on.......

3. No don't use caffeine i'll search my reference books, something to do with it being a vasoconstrictor and reducing cerebral blood flow. Wait out.

4. Ive tried a few things, one caffeine based product I tried was called Tight Extreme or something or other, it gave me a huge caffeine rush, felt like I had bags of energy, masked some aches and pains, also contained mood enhancers - all in all it was good stuff. BUT - side effects were a little nasty. It dropped you like a sack of shit later in the day when it wore off, made you more irritable and bad tempered, headaches and you needed more and more of them if you took them often as the body built up a resistance to them. All in all I would say they were ok for one off energy boosts for specific physical tasks but i wouldnt use them as a training aid. Good diet is better.

5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

try Chia in water. It'll surprise you.

6. What you fuel yourself with is important, but remember that if you want to put the youth in their paces (and let's face it, you're not in this business to just keep up.)

Follow the link below to have a look at some articles for strength training. Admittedly it's for over 40s but that just means that you have a head start.

Bodybuilding.com - Strength Training Success For A Middle Aged Guy! - Brian Konzelman

If Fauja Singh can run a marathon in 5 hours 40 minutes aged 92 then you should still be in the running.

[​IMG]

7. 'most of caffeine's cardiovascular effects appear to be the result of adenosine blockade. Adenosine is a vasodilator, and any compound that blocks adenosine will increase vascular tone and raise blood pressure'
    ...'The action on adenosine are not confined to inducing vasodilation. Adenosine also prevents the central release of some neurotransmitters including dopamine and nor-epinephrine (Fredholm 1995). Some suggest that the alertness and energy experienced by coffee drinkers are the result of the ability of caffeine to block endogenous adenosine which in turn, allow the additional release of some neurotransmitters (Fredholm et al 1999) Surprisongly a connection between coffee consumption and Parkinsons disease seems to exist: higher caffeine consumption is associated with a lower risk of developing parkinsons ( Ross et al 200a,b)
    Caffeine is essentially 100% bioavailable and it's peak concentrations occur 30-45 mins after oral ingestion (Massey (1998)
    A 250mg dose of caffeine appros. 2.5 cups is enough to reduce cerebral blood flow for 90 minutes.
    Caffeine, regardless of the source, acutely raises blood pressure in naive individuals, but only for a short time and not to a great degree (Cameron et al 1990) In the case of individuals who consume caffeine on a regular basis, results are difficult to predict because tolerance to the effects of caffeine is quickly acquired and lost, probably within 24 hours from the time the drug is last taken (James 1997)
    A very large intake by individuals with coronary heart disease substantially increases the risk for sudden cardiac death ) de Vreede-Swagemakers et al 1999)

In one controlled study, elite marathon runners given 9mg/kg of caffeine before testing were able to increase their time on a treadmill by an average of 70% (Graham and Spriet 1991) This improvement was achieved without toxicity and without exceeding the requirement of the IOC that testing reveal no more than 12 Ug/ml of caffeine....'
    ... Very similar results were obtained by Kovacs et al (1998) .....

The above from Karch's pathology of drug abuse, some of the references are old and there may be more up to date stuff and of course check with your GP and don't hold me responsible and don't sue me etc. etc.

8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

9. hmm well muslims have been using it since at least 1511 but it was to keep them up when they were praying all night. It's thought it came after it was noticed that when goats ate a certain bean they didn't sleep all night. The muslims tried it and there you have 'Kahweh'

10. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

Teshekur edirim, sekerli.

11. Your welcome

12. 1. You are not too old.
    2. You need to run more than 3 x a week to improve, 4-6 is much better
    3. Mix up the runs - some intervals, some tempo, some long runs, sometimes do what you feel like.
    4. Caffeine works well for some, less for others - Personally I benefit from the caffeine kick.
    5. Creatine is not going to help your running unless you only do 100m sprints.
    6. Watching the youngsters laugh at Grandad as he laces up his trainers - and then watching their faces as you leave them eating your dust is a guilty pleasure that you should not deny yourself so go for it.

13. I've looked at Chia seeds and as far as I can see they make grey wallpaper paste with bits in

14. Good points there bulldoze