Cafe de Paris Beurre

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by BratMedic, Oct 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I recently had a fillet steak with Cafe de Paris Beurre and it was great! I've tried to buy the stuff but nowhere appears to sell it ready made so I got a recipe from t'internet, here it is, try it on your steak and see!

CAFE DE PARIS BUTTER
    125g unsalted butter, softened
    15ml vegetable oil
    1/4 white onion, finely diced
    10g Indian style curry powder
    1 small handful parsley leaves
    1 clove garlic
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    3 anchovy fillets
    1/2 teaspoon baby capers, rinsed
    1/2 teaspoon sea salt
    1 teaspoon ground pepper
    1 small handful basil leaves
    1 small handful thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 egg yolk
    ½ cup brandy
    To make the butter, heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and curry powder over low heat until soft and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
    Process all ingredients until just combined. Adjust the seasoning if necessary. Roll butter into a 4cm diameter log, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm.
    Any unused butter can be frozen if it is not going to be used within a week or so.

2. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Oh sh1t I'm in the cookery forum - I thought someone had started a thread on buttering a bird's arse after the brief mention on the Emmanuelle thread (though it was actually 'Last Tango in Paris') yesterday.

3. Well..... you could use it for that if you wanted, it does taste nice, both of 'em.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Your way does seem like a lot of work compared to a dollop of Lurpak.

5. Any high class delicatessen will sell it, it is mass-produced by Knorr - you will find it in the dairy cabinet with the specialty butters. Alternatively there is a producer near Bristol who sells it mail-order at £6.75 a pack (150 gms) + post & packing or by the box (9 rolls) free delivery.

Bon chance, PM me if you would like the address.

6. Nice one BM, haven't seen this compound (hard) butter for years and it's a cracking sauce. If you like Bratmedic's lovely Paris Butter, there are other versions to bang on your steak. As this is an old Hotel recipe it's got 2lbs of butter so just knock all the ingredients down by half, or a quarter. Depending what you need. It should keep for a month in the Freezer and you slice off what you need. Now we don't want to piss off Bratmedic but he might like this.

"Cafe de Paris Butter", here's the old recipe and used in the best steak joints usually on top of an entrecote steak.

1 kg butter (leave the butter til tomorrow) . *Mix this lot up first and let it marinade overnight (don't whizz it yet). The mix should ferment in a cool place or fridge it if you're fussy:
    60g tomato ketchup
    25g Dijon mustard
    25g capers (in brine)
    125g brown shallots
    50g fresh curly parsley
    50g fresh chives
    5g dried marjoram
    5g dried dill
    5g fresh thyme, leaves only
    10 leaves fresh French tarragon
    Pinch ground rosemary
    1 garlic clove, squashed then chopped very finely
    8 anchovy fillets (rinsed)
    1 tbs good brandy
    1 tbs Madeira
    1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    ½ tsp sweet paprika
    ½ tsp of good curry powder
    Pinch cayenne
    8 white peppercorns
    juice 1 lemon
    zest of ½ lemon
    zest ¼ orange
    12gm salt
    Now whizz the mix so it's smooth. And if you can, strain it through Muslin cloth. Not through a muslim.

Now you'll want to melt and foam your butter with a whisk and then mix it with the *marinated stuff. Chuck the butter in a bowl and let it set chilled.

Bratmedic's bang on, the hard butter sauce is usually rolled in to a tube, using some greaseproof paper as a sleeve, maybe about two inches in diameter, and then gets frozen or fridged. Think big willy. When you bang it on a good steak or even jacket spuds... try to brown the butter under a hot salamander grill. The butter underneath should be just warm.