Caesar - Rome - Ancient History

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Sixty, Apr 25, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

By faint public demand and a continuation of a discussion started here.

2. Were people really getting peed off with the hijacking of the thread? I thought it was tradition for threads to deviate? :)

3. I agree. I think we've just killed it.

edited to add: we'd only be boring people who'd bothered to read that far- who presumably weren't that bored, therefore.

4. But it gave longevity to a thread destined to a maximum of two pages.

5. Sixty

Not that I noticed. I thought it may have a longer lifespan outwith the Naafi where the threat of the Hole is ever present.

Happy to continue there though.

Edit: That was at the post above yours, Pike. Not yours ;)

6. No matter how we question what sources there are available, the fact remains that Caesar was a great man. I would argue that he saw the writing on the wall before anyone else, that Rome had to be ruled by one man. Having survived Sulla's proscriptions aand known that the Senate intended to clip his wings what other choice could there be? His great mistake was allowing hints that he wished to be king and allowing a man from such a famous family as Brutus to be close to him at the same time. Augustus certainly took the lesson from this by using the title Princeps and maintaining a figurehead Senate.
    Could Rome have survived (and thrived) as a Republic?

7. Sixty

So, to recap.

Sources - none really contemporary or primary but probably Suetonius being the closet we have.

Caesar - deified only possibly but we all agree he was heading for King/Emperor status thus leading to his death?

8. Biggest mistake he made was dismissing his bodyguard! :roll: He was appointed Lifetime Dictator by the senate who rightly feared his intentions. Where the senators scared more by the threat of the loss of there powers?
    He is one leader I would of followed to hell and back! :D

9. Not sure about Suetonius really. He is not the most serious of the major historians is he - a little 'racy' with all that bedroom and dining room stuff. I go for Plutarch.
    Caesar - wanted to be king. Actually nobody has mentioned the fact (it's only just occurred to me) that the Julian family considered themselves decendants of Venus, so he probably already considered himself 'divine' in part.

10. btw, does anyone know if Antony assumed God-king status in Egypt avec la Cleopatra? if so, was that considered extra provocation by SPQ of R?

or did they feel that what happened in the east, stayed in the east, as it were;
    that as long as a prospective dictator/king didn't try to assume kingly/divine privileges in the city itself, then they could do what they like in the east as long as they accepted the honours on behalf of Rome, rather than personally?

Maybe this would account for ambivalence re Caesar's status?

edited to add: one thing Suetonius has over Plutarch is in only writing about 'real' people. By including mythical characters (in his Athenian lives) Plutarch begs the question as to how reliable his sources are.

11. Sixty

Having given myself a slap I guess Cicero, whilst not a historian, is probably the closest to a primary source you'll get. It's he who records the offering of the crown by Antony being rebuffed several times.

12. Caesar was lifetime dictator of Rome so he did not need to be king. Granted the senate could of censored him but could they have stopped him achieving whatever he wanted? The elections were rigged, Caesar appointed many people who he showed clemency to during the civil war to the senate and allowed them to rise to high positions.
    He was king in all but name....
    Its a pity Caesar never got the opportunity to go east and face the Parthains

13. All of the senate would have lived through the Marian/Sullan civil war and seen the butchery that went on after Sulla's proscriptions. I can imagine among the Senate a climate of fear that the same thing could easily happen again and an unspoken compact that it shouldn't happen again. Caesar, having luckily survived this era, probably thought the same and didn't consider himself a man like Sulla: look at the way he reacted to the murder of Pompey. Sadly for Caesar, Sulla and the office of Dictatorcast a long shadow.

14. Sixty

But he did affect many aspects of the Kings in numeous accounts I'm too tired to dig out but will do tomorrow.

He had ulimate power but presented himself to the populace as needing more.

15. I agree,though I doubt Caesar would of followed in Sulla's footsteps. Funny how the senate and Rome reacted to Octavian who did become Emperor. Did they feel guilty in any way?