Caen - late night decent restaurant

Discussion in 'Travel' started by fairmaidofperth, Nov 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking for a good French restaurant in central Caen which stays open late for a group of 8. We are doing a battlefield tour and arriving latish on a Friday evening. Any suggestions welcome.
  2. Had a good night out in Caen about 15 years ago - can't for the life of me remember the name of the restaurant because:

a) It was 15 years ago
    b) I was shit-faced

However, wherever you eat - do not order the Andouillette! They are a local sausage - that seemed like a safe thing to order from the menu, however they stink of shit. After a skin full of pints it was all I could do not to spew when they were set in front of me. It is the only time I have actually gagged at my dinner in a restaurant.

They are lovingly referred to as the Sewer Sausages of Caen by the lads ever since.
  3. Thanks for the links. Agree that Bayeux is better but nobody wants to drive, idea is check into hotel at marina then have nice meal washed down with copious bottles of red then stagger back. Andouillette de Troyes is not for the faint hearted, the trick is to have a really really good one and wash it down with dry white wine. On that note, I will def not be eating tripes à la mode de Caen. Been there done that. Fortunately I survived. I'll stick with a good steak tartare (or as my RI colleague calls it raw mince)!