Cadetship and TA/UOTC

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by jew_unit, Aug 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all. I';ve used the search function and could find little on cadetships and nothing that answers my specific query, so here goes.

I'm looking to apply for a cadetship in the coming year, after much thought and discussion with those in the know (both civ and army doctors). I am yet to go on the aquaint visit, but I have just recieved some paperwork which throws up a fairly significant question.

The info I have states clearly that they look very favourably on candidates who are in the TA or UOTC. I was wondering if this is a major contraindication or not? Obviously it is not a complete block otherwise the paperwork would have said that, but I suspect that it is very hard point to over come at interview.

That being said, I would love to join either of these organisations but I simply do not have the time. This is not a case of "I have too much work" but rather that I'm training with the boat club all weekend and every afternoon. 35 hrs of training a week at inconvenient times makes it simply impossible for me to do anything other than rowing and work. Would this be taken into account when considering my lack of military experience over the last year?

Thanks in advance for any help,
  2. Sorry mate.. I don't know the answer to your question but the underlined part comes as a huge relief to me :D . I'm in the process of joining the TA(ADSC on the 12th sept) and I'm having constant doubts as to whether It's possible to combine the TA with my impending medical studies(begins in Sept). Good luck with your application.

PS. Any advice via pm on how you combine your studies with such a high commitment to rowing will be appreciated!
  3. You'll be fine. Your workload is nothing like its cracked up to be until you've passed your 2nd MB (i.e. 3rd year)
  4. I'm not sure if it's the same system in the Army, but, Medical University Cadets in the Air Force and the Navy are required to join their local respective unit. So if you're at Uni and looking for a cadetship, I think you'll be obligated to join your local UOTC. I may be wrong, but it's something to think about.
  5. They aren't in the Andrew, that's only the crabs that do that.
  6. Cheers Carcass, that's good to know.
  7. That was definitely not the case in the army when I started this process. However, if the situation has changed then by the time the cadetship kicks in I will be done with rowing altogether so there still wont be a problem.

Anyone out there able to shed any light onto my problem?
  8. It's useful if you've been in the OTC/TA as it shows you have an understanding of army life, however it isn't necessary - there were people who were successful at my board who hadn't been in either.
    You don't have to train with the TA or OTC once you've got your cadetship (but it's a good thing to do if you have the time), the only commitment whilst you're at uni is a briefing day once a year.
    Your commitment to a sport will stand you in good stead; just make sure you've talked to lots of people in the army, and maybe try and get a few aquaint visits in as opposed to just the main one so you can prove you're making the career decision with your eyes open.
    Hope that helps. PM me if you've anymore questions (I'm a medical cadet just going into final year).
    And for whoever was wondering about TA + med school, it's entirely possible, lots of people manage it.
  9. Thanks. Thats very helpful.
  10. Hi,

Been involved in cadetship admin in the recent past and I can tell you that while TA and UOTC is a useful part of your CV for an application it is NOT mandatory. In fact once you've jumped through the hoops of AOSB to actually get your cadetship, you cannot actually be a member of the TA or UOTC because you are then getting paid as a 2Lt and so you cannot be paid by the OUTC/TA too! You may, if you wish, stay involved with UOTC so that you keep your military skills up and keep that social scene. To do that you have to have the permission of the OC of UOTC and also of the head of your future cadre.

Hope it helps.