Cadet Intake 2009

Discussion in 'Ireland (ie. Irish Defence Force)' started by wager, Jul 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The Irish Army, contrary to expectations, will be taking on a class of Officer Cadets this year.

From http://www.defence.ie/WebSite.nsf/Release+ID/8E21436E425A304E8025760200541538?OpenDocument

2. Do you think that Mr O'Dea will be able to get the bean counters to budge over soldier recruitment? Last time I looked at the Irish Defence Force website it had a front page announcement stating that recruitment had been frozen for the time being.

3. Theyd want to hurry up as it would seem that many would be recruits are looking across the water to join the British Army. I know of at least two lads from Dublin and Wicklow who have applied for the Royal Marines, mainly due to the recruitment freeze in the Irish Army/public sector in general

4. 3/4 of people in my selection where from the South. I can't blame them.

5. Possibly. In my opinion the reason the Defence Forces, alone in the public service, was given permission to recruit as a payback for the restructuring they went through in the decade from 1995. The Defence Forces manning was cut by 50%, plus widespread Barrack closures and introduction of more mandatory fitness tests, the 5 year contract, abolition of the pension, etc. The Government want to send the message that pain now will be rewarded later, and if the rest of the public sector suffers now, it will be made up to them when they are more efficient. Thus, I reckon there is a good chance of a recruit intake, most likely in the Eastern Bde. That’s my opinion; it’s only a guess though!

Ask yourself a question though, as many here did – is the Irish Army what you want out of life? Ask yourself what the Army means to you, what you want from the Army and where you are most likely to find it? Is it in a very old fashioned, slow moving national defence force, or in a front line NATO Army on constant operations? Talk to members of the Defence Forces about the bad points. No-one needs to explain the bad points of the British Army, going to war makes them obvious, but don’t for a second think that the Irish Army is the army without war. It isn’t, believe me.

Things have changed politically enough now for a lot of Irish people to come to the UK and serve, so rather than waiting for a possible Defence Forces recruitment, which will be massively oversubscribed, why not look at the R IRISH (or another arm or corps) in the British Army? Great bunch of lads, a lot from the South, including a lot of the SNCOs and Officers and a very friendly, welcoming atmosphere.

6. [quote="wagerThings have changed politically enough now for a lot of Irish people to come to the UK and serve, so rather than waiting for a possible Defence Forces recruitment, which will be massively oversubscribed, why not look at the R IRISH (or another arm or corps) in the British Army? Great bunch of lads, a lot from the South, including a lot of the SNCOs and Officers and a very friendly, welcoming atmosphere.[/quote]

This is true, there are plenty of men and women from south of the border in the British Army. I've seen the numbers increase during my service and especially so in the last 5-6 years as any residual stigma has largely evaporated.

A lot are to be found in 1 R IRISH, The Irish Guards and the QRH as you would expect, but there are plenty more hidden away in the other Regiment's and Corps and the RN/RM and RAF.

7. When I did my basic training for the RE back in 1987 I roomed with a top lad from the South who had spent his youth in what would be Eire's equivalent of the ACF over here (he did tell me the name but I can not remember what they are called). He was a very pleasant chap who simply wanted a military career, when I asked him why he had opted for service over the water he said that the options relating to joining the IDF were too limited and complicated and therefore this was the next best option.

This was not a light decision for such an 18 year old to take at that time as the Troubles in the north were in full flow and I know for a fact that both he and his family thought it prudent within their own community to keep quiet about the career path he had chosen. If such people were prepared to do that in those difficult times, then it does not surprise me to read that such numbers are up in these somewhat less fractious times.

There was a very interesting related news thread on the BBC a good few months back which may well have been mentioned on here before.

8. They were called the FCA. They are now called the RDF.

9. There is no equivalent to the Army Cadet Force in Southern Ireland - the FCA (now RDF) is a part time reserve to the Army, equivalent to the TA, or the TA 10 years ago anyway.

11. Ah, apologies on my part that must have been what he was in before then. He certainly served in some sort of military uniformed service before going to Gib Barracks as he had photographs of himself and others in uniform. That'll be my memory putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 3! :?

12. Nay bother - its 22 years ago in fairness! Personally I'm delighted to hear of more mexicans making the jump!