Cadet instructor - worthwhile endeavour?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Jimmy901, May 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey, I'm looking at ways to boost my application to Sandhurst, and a stint as a cadet instructor between now and my hopeful acceptance seems on the face of it to be a good way of doing that. However I figured I'd see if anyone else here had any experience of it and ask them if they felt it had been worthwhile, or whether I would be better served using my time elsewhere. Also curious about whether people recommend the NCO instructor or Officer instructor route.

So if anyone has any opinions on the matter, I'd appreciate your input.
  2. Cadets is an MOD sponsored youth group,you would be better in the RNR/TA/RMR/RAFR. Leave the cadets for us us ex regulars that cant let go and need to keep living the dream!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Being an instructor with the ACF is a massive commitment if you want to do it properly. It also takes a good couple of years to get fully qualified, so it's only really worth doing if it's going to be a long-term thing. If you're only doing it to augment your CV, then there are other ways to do it, and the cadets deserve instructors who are there to put them first, not with their own interests at heart.
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Going off and doing something adventurous/unselfish/unusual would stand you in far better stead, both for your application and later on. And as ex-mudmechanic said, cadets do not need instructors who see the ACF (or CCF) as a leg-up for their careers.
  5. I agree totally with Barneyrnsm and Ex Mudmechanic.
    Edited: to include agreement with Flaggie as well!

Dependent upon how much time between now and your interviews etc., so that enlisting TA etc may not be seen by them as an option, look for courses that stretch you physically a bit, mix with some different people to your normal environment, and perhaps with a bit of paper at the end; eg climbing or Summer Mountain Leader come to mind.

Whatever you do, do it because you want to do it and will enjoy it. Do nothing just for a c.v., it usually shows through on an interview anyway.

To answer your thread title, "worthwhile endeavour"!

To go ahead 30 odd years and look at the careers just some of your ex-cadets have made for themselves, from steady factory workers in boring jobs through to Southern Regional Manager of a major bank; ex AAC Sergeant PIlot, now a pilot with BA Training, RAF physiotherapist, Regular Army serving Staff Sergeant, LE Major, Colonel, contract salvager in Iraq; retired Army medic now a GP, veterans of many conflicts now out of the army mostly raising families and plodding along as people do; satisfying.

To look at some of their children in the Cadet Forces, some looking to Sandhurst, or university, or to startiung careers, satisfying.

To walk through a street you last walked years before and be recognised by parents pushing prams or middle aged individuals who look at you twice, and say "are you...?", satisfying.

To know that wherever they have got in life, and whatever they have done, you might have played even just the tiniest part; given some perhaps just the idea a service life might suit them, steadied some maybe a little when other things around were encouraging them into bad stuff, taught some just a little of the value of working with others to achieve things, shown some that it was worth sticking in school a bit longer, satisfying.

Worthwhile, yes.

But not unless at least one very important reason for you to be there is in helping young people achieve.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. well said Tom, I often think that and blurt it out drunk in the company of other CFAVs,I really need to get a new hobby!!
    trouble is its true what you have said!
  7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

As a general point, the most important part of getting through AOSB and earning a place at Sandhurst is performing well in the tests designed to show your leadership ability when you're at Westbury. The content of your CV can help the board form a judgement about what sort of person you are, particularly if you are a borderline case, but the fact is that you could have spent all your free time for the last ten years locked in your bedroom, squeezing your zits, masturbating ferociously and playing 'World of Warcraft' and - if you ace the tests - you will get through. Being a cadet instructor is a good thing, but it isn't the army and it is likely only to have a marginal impact on an AOSB application.
  8. Thanks for the replies guys, guess I still need to work on the whole "not being an arrogant tosser" side of things.
  9. I am a cadet instructor and have been for 8 years now, and am in the process of applying to Sandhurst and would say that although I personally think it has helped me in terms of understanding how the Army works, and the variety of jobs available, it hasn't felt like a huge contributing factor to helping my application along.

To echo what others above have said, to be a good ACF instructor, and to get any real enjoyment out of it, you need to put alot of commitment in and be there to help young people to achieve, something I have always prided myself for doing as an instructor up until now, and the only reason for that is because I now have AOSB main board to focus on and it has massively impacted on my cadet commitment, so it would probably be the worst time for you to start looking at becoming an instructor.

If you do have a bit of time to go off and do some CV buffing, maybe travelling and/or getting involved in some sporting activities would stand you in better stead.
    • Like Like x 1