Cadet cuts threaten Afghan mission

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jan 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cadet cuts 'threaten Afghan mission'
    9:30am Friday 1st January 2010

By Timothy John »

BRITAIN’S ability to fight in Afghanistan could be damaged through cuts to its Army Cadet Force, says a Bournemouth MP.

Bournemouth East MP Tobias Ellwood says that the cuts could lead to a shortage of army recruits in five or ten years time.

The Army Cadet Force, which celebrates its 150 anniversary in 2010, had £4 million slashed from its £40m annual budget in October halfway through the financial year.

Mr Ellwood, a former army officer and member of the Territorial Army, said the Army Cadet Force was “a critical part in introducing people to the armed forces”.
  2. And the TA's budget is £20m?
  3. We won't be in Afghan in 5-10 years time so it's irrelevant.
  4. The Cadets don't have a remit to recruit for the ARmed Forces.... ergo, they wont affect recruiting.

However, I would say that the cutting back of the ACF and otehr uniformed Youth organisations in UK WILL have an affect on our country.

My home town has NO Youh Club. THe building was turned in to a dance and computer classroom on the school, and the mob known as 'connexions' has taken over.

They have a sh1tty little internet cafe, and their volunteers wander about town 'inviting' kids they find in the street to 'come with them' (fcuking dodgy if you ask me).

5 scout packs have turned in to about 1 1/2, the BB Coy is about 10 blokes (previously it provided a band of at least 30 odd). The ACF seem to be quite strong, still in comparison. But decimated in contrast to just a few years ago.
  5. Sounds about right, the TA come a poor second to the Cadets when decisions are taken.
  6. I'll happily take a bet on that Fallsch. I do a fair amount of travelling, what has struck me of late is the commitment even within Europe to stick to the Afghan mission. This thing has built up a fair degree of momentum. My chat with a foreign office geezer the other day, who was absolutely certain that we were winning convinces me that the West really is in this for the long run.

I hope I am wrong, but I'll take your money. And I still don't believe the European electorate believes the sacrifice is worth it, but Europe has its own political elite and they don't give a s**t about democracy, unless it is on their terms.
  7. Hasn't Obama already stated his intention to start pulling troops out in 2011? When the yanks go, everybody will follow.
  8. Ah but will that be the last 30,000 that arrived only. I can see a shedload still being there in 10 years time.
  9. Fallsch erstwhile I agree, I thought the implication was that he would start to reduce his troops at that point but that would include his surge re-enforcement as well, giving no final date for the completion of US military action
  10. Whatever. Afghanistan is costing the UK too much money. The Government will pull out as soon as the ANSF are 'a little bit' ready to take over the task. Well before ten years time.
  11. msr

msr LE

No, the £20m which was left was taken from the budget.

12. We may not be in AFG in 5 years, but you can bet a pound to a pinch of shite, that the mil will be somewhere else doing much the same thing.

Just another example of short sighted policy makers.
  13. Where? We are too financially fcuked and our political establishment too castrated to go anywhere else for a generation
  14. True. We'll probably be in Iran... :twisted:
  15. Getting dicked by the Iranians who have spent the previous 10 years studying just how much explosive it takes to destroy British and American vehicles...