cadet bravery

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by thespick!!, Sep 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. can anyone tell if they know about a cadet who won an award for bravery in the 2nd world war, i think he was a fire warden or something like that?

2. Hmmm dont know; but it may be worth checking out George Medal holders.

3. I just typed the words "cadet bravery" into a Google search, and found that there are no less than 9,940 links. There must be quite a few decent youngsters in the various parts of the cadet forces.

4. This for example:

ROYAL APPOINTMENT FOR BIRMINGHAM CADET

A 17-year-old West Midlands Army cadet has received a rare bravery award from the Duke of Kent during a Royal visit to an Army training camp in Wiltshire.
    LCpl Vicky Murray, from Selly Oak in Birmingham and a member of the Warwickshire and West Midlands South Army Cadet Force (ACF) received the Queen's Commendation for Bravery; the first Army cadet awarded a national honour since 1941. The award relates to an incident when Vicky was walking to Bourneville School one day two years ago when she saw an elderly woman pulling at curtains in a ground-floor flat from which smoke and flames could be seen.Disregarding her own injuries, Vicky treated the victim at the scene for shock while awaiting the ambulance. Sadly, the old lady's husband, overcome by smoke and burns, later died from his injuries. HRH The Duke of Kent presents LCpl Vicky Murray, aged 17, from Birmingham, with the Queen's Commendation for Bravery.[Picture: Sgt Dave Liddle, RLC]
    "When I got there, people were just standing about and I felt I
    had to do something," said Vicky."My training as an Army Cadet helped enormously, especially the first aid and taking command of the situation."Parents, Sue and Jim Murray, who is a former Territorial Army soldier, attended the ceremony where their daughter received her award."I am so very proud of her," said Sue. "The Army Cadet training gave her confidence and maturity."

5. yes that story is also featured in the Army Cadet Magazine, all in the best tradition of the ACF and there many Cadet who have acted inthe same way like her, the award is a well deserved one.

6. yep the ACF has a long tradition of gallantry, something that as an organisation we do not make enough of in my opinion.

7. Yes - Corporal David Lazarus who won the George Medal in the London Blitz. Other children who won the George Medal in WW2 were St John Ambulance cadet Betty Quinn and NAAFI assistant Tommy Brown.

8. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Any cadet who allows himself to be left alone in the company of AIs deserve a medal in my humble opinion.

That and corrective colon surgery.

9. One of my AIs when I was a cadet was ex-AAC and was always banging on about his Chopper.

Of course, as a cadet, you can always just say No!

10. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

But you didn't?

Being ex AAC you will have clearly wanted him.

11. Only 6 (SIX) years between flash to bang :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. I blush to admit it. His chopper was woefully disappointing however, a pesky little wasp.