cadet blinded by IRA booby trap stripped of half his cash

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jockass, Mar 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Has anybody been outraged by this yet?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=532530&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

cadet blinded by IRA booby trap stripped of half his compensation because he was already blind in one eye. What genius bean counted decided that one? Saved a bit of cash for their christmas party or to pay their ministers prostitute bill. Seems obvious to me that the problems caused by having absolutely no sight are more than double the problems caused by partial sight. How do people who make these decisions live with themselves? Especially now the price of booze is going up?

PS. my dark side wanted to lighten the mood by saying that to make it even worse he has no use for the torch now, but for reasons of taste and decency I decided not too. Well done me.

2. Outraged, yes I am but for once it is not the MOD at fault. It is the Criminal injuries compensation lot, coupled with the rediculous means testing of benefits. They have always been a bad joke.

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

This was covered last year I seem to recall. Way of the scale on the outrageometer back then. Obviously he needs to apply for gender reassignment and all will be sorted!

4. A noble gesture indeed. I'm sure that he had every intention of handing it in at the local police station.

Hadn't seen it but definitely outraged. So the assumption for compensation is perfect health/all bodily bits in place and functioning immediately prior to some crazed lunatic trying to vapourise you. I can kinda understand the logic. If he was already blind and had both eyes blown out then his condition would not be that much worse. (Mind you he probably wouldn't have found the torch in the first place). The point here is that this boy could see (albeit to a limited degree) before and now he can't. His eye injury is life changing and the fault of a terroist act. He should receive sufficient compensation to make up for this change.

5. Disgusting. CICA hands out thousands to people who get pissed up and come off worse in a fight, but tries to stiff an entirely blameless victim of terrorism.

6. I'm not easily outraged, but I'd like to meet the person who reached this decision.

7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I haven't designed an outrage bandwagon piccy yet, but give me time. I think we need to make room for everyone to jump aboard.

Bleeding bean counters. They've got their priorities all wrong.

8. All Aboard

Attached Files:

9. Time to get out the letter writing kit! What a miserable, mean decision. F*cking speechless

10. Isn't it a shame one can't sue Sinn Fiein for the crimes of their political brother in arms...

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I dont see why not! :?:

12. Me neither, wonder why no-one has ever tried. Has anyone?

13. I remember the appalling incident like it was yesterday, something about the dignity of this brave young lad and his mum really got to me, he was already struggling through life partially sighted but instead of sitting at home moping he joined the cadets and was at the threshold of making a meaningful life for him self.

He has been treated inhumanely and robbed of any chance of a normal life twice by two cruel acts: One perpetrated by a vicious, vindictive and pitiless organisation and the other by the IRA!

14. Not sure... but seeing as much of their money (maybe) comes from the proceeds of bank robberies and drug dealing then if you did get a payout from them the police would prosecute you for handling stolen property straight away. Wouldnt dare go after Sein Fein themselves obviously.

15. hear hear!