Cadet Bivvy Bags

Discussion in 'ACF' started by walting_matilda, Oct 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This brings me on to my second point:

If cadets are encouraged to sleep outside on exercise, why are they not given bivvy bags. By all means they can buy their own sleeping bags. What are the thoughts about this out there?
  2. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

My thoughts are why don't they join the fuckiing Boy Scouts instead of trying to be teeny weeny soldiers - a plus would be all the ******* who get a thrill dressing up and bossing kids around would **** off and become scout masters - if they could qualify that is.
  3. My my, you have a mouth on you. Now kindly **** off and let the adults speak.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I'm sure I remember getting issued a bivvy bag for an annual camp many moons ago.
  5. Because a basha is preferable. Bivi bags are useful where one has to sleep somewhere one cannot erect a basha, but circumstances permitting one should always construct a basha.
  6. Bivi bags are always useful, they help keep your doss bag clean and dry (regardless of the basha) and they can help add extra warmth where it is needed.
  7. I just thought they are very expensive. If there was an opportunity for the MOD to enable cadet units to buy them off the UIN and then individuals repay (collectively) the money then all would be happy (as cadets are keen not to take money off the MOD).
  8. H3

H3 LE

Gelert Survival Bag | GO Outdoors

Bargain but giving kids plastic bags may be a no no !!!

Plus you'll not loose them ( the kids ) ....and their not on Excercise are they more like " camping out " .
  9. I'm liking the idea but will need developing. Perhaps a material they will not make you sweat loads in a sleeping bag....
  10. Plastic survival bags are fine to have in your kit for an emergency but no substitute for a bivi bag. It's not just sweat which will have you soaked in the morning, but breath condensing on the inside of the bag. [insert lame "jokes" here]
  11. '58 poncho, bungees and some para cord maybe a few meat skewers.
    Build it yourself. Show the Cadets how to do it and then let them get on with it. Helps field craft, camming out etc and will help build good teamwork/oppos if you pair them up.
    Cost minimal.
    Piswamper normal ACF pishtaking response will reume in 5,4,3,2,1.....
  12. Whats wrong with a poncho, some string and rubble sacks from B&Q along with a bed of fern ? Poofs.
  13. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

used to be cadet units could borrow from TA units, but seeing as the cadets are now the primary reserve teeth arm they should probably have been given their own from all the surplus.

bashing up is still an essential skill but with the last few years weather a bivvy bag is extremely usefull.

as for scouts - seeing as they want to ban nicknames and you have to declare whether you watched jim'll fix it as a child so you can get extra counselling I think more and more scout leaders will look at moving over.
  14. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The cheap (i.e. free) way to get bivvy bags for your cadets would be for your unit to borrow from Loan Pools for the duration of your exercises.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Kids can still basha up but the use of a bivvy bag make it all the more comfortable.

If the cadets units buy off UIN (and replay said cadet units) then the company who supply the MOD will make more and all benefit!!!