Cadency.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Nehustan, Mar 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Are there any Heraldry buffs on the site? I was hoping that someone might know or be able to work out the correct cadency for a great great grandson? I've contacted the College of Arms, but I doubt I will hear back from them any time soon. :p

2. The only suggestion I would have is The Heraldry Society. The Heraldry Society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh and this link I found The Heraldry Society
    "Any company which purports to supply you with a 'coat of arms for your surname' is misleading you. Coats of arms do not belong to surnames. They belong to individuals, and are either granted to a particular person, or inherited by descent from someone to whom arms have been granted in the past".

Rouge Croix Pursuivant
    December 2001

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Thanks Tremaine, I'll pop them an email. I've been on the case of my mother's family for around 15 years. I was slightly put off by a Rothschild/Cholmondeley Red Herring that was fed my mother in 67 I'm told, but I'm now fairly sure I've worked out the interest in my mother's family; damn the bourgeois!! :p

4. Cadency does not, as I understand it, affect the maternal lineage. So if you wanted to invest in coat of arms, you would as well - as someone suggests above - apply for a grant in your own right. This would of course reflect your forebears or perhaps achievements/associations of your own.

If you were in direct male lineage, then you would wear your father's coat of arms with the appropriate brisure - so first son a label for example. On the death of the father, you would simply remove your brisure and wear the coat of arms. Grandsons combine their brisure with that of their father, so if you were the first son of a firth son, then you would wear the coat of arms with a label and an annulet. It gets pretty confusing when you add in a brisure to reflect your being the great grandson!

Oh and any daughter does not wear "arms" but has instead a lozenge depicting her paternal arms. On marriage, these arms are either combined with her husbands or relegated in favour of the husband. So somebody whose mother came from a fancier family than dad cannot choose to wear the Montagu-Plantagenet-Habsburg arms - they are stuck with those of plain old dad, Bert Jones!

5. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I worked out that mine would be a label of 9 in Black. The first 'official' heads up I had was via a QMSM at Wellington on my 30th birthday who made a what would now seem to be ironic comment about titles while smiling broadly at me, followed by me getting a very strange look at the Priory of St John when I mentioned Black Cadences, and some pretty big hints last time I was at the Priory. Given that the family concerned were booted out (a detail that I was told by a cousin) I'm not sure that the men they married make much of a difference. From what I can gather about the gentleman concerned it is Ego>Daughter>Daughter>Daughter>Me (Perhaps bastard son of bastards, explains my personality!). I popped into Wellington briefly this evening to thank the QMSM for the heads-up; rather nice of him, I'm sure it wasn't in isolation.

6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I even look like the fellow concerned. It now explains why someone wanted a posed shot of me in my fencing equipment back in the day. Not quite a uniform, but fairly close; épée rather than sabre. :p

(edited to add, I've had serious fun over the last few weeks joking with MI5 that they need to learn the difference between a primary and a principal!!! Muhhhhahhhhaaaa!)

7. Fascinating heraldic mumbo-jumbo Nehustan - so are you really the true claimant to the Barony of Castleshort?

8. Careful Cuddles, nuff said. :wink:

9. Nehustan, you might want to think about engaging the assistance of a genealogist. If you are interested, I can give you the name of one who is an ex-Army chap who has a working relationship with the College of Heralds.

10. He might want to consider hiring a bodyguard...try this mob.

11. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

As it happens it might well be that extended members of this family can use styles which is quite cool, tho' while the fellow in question almost certainly left pots, I don't think he left any lands. :p

12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

As it happens I've been reliably informed that Special Operations usually protect the descendants, quickly nicking them if they get too out of hand, i.e. principal becomes primary. My mother's brother quickly found that out when he carried out an armed robbery and is currently at HM's in HMP Walton.

13. Edit it again, my man: that's "principal". (Unless you're discussing scruples or ideas, that is?)

Cheers,
    Cliff

14. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Will do been out of circulation for a while. Had a letter from the college of arms tho' so will pop in to see the herald when I get time.