Cadbury - sweetness and lies!

#1
Oh I nearly crashed the car last night, listening to Lord Rumba of Rio undergoing questioning by the Trade select committee (I think).

A Tory MP was trying to make the point that whatever Kraft said, ultimately they would not be bound because that's business. Lord Mandelbum promptly replied "If somebody gives an undertaking, however aspirational, we should expect them to stick to it."

Stop it Peter, you are splitting my sides.
 

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
#2
Its just fear of losing more support in the traditional Labour heartlands. They know full well that job cuts will follow, and just make some hollow noises to hopefully quieten those affected. I love headlines like 'Brown warns Kraft not to cut jobs' - Like they would take a damn thing that tw@t said seriously when nobody else does.
 
#3
I agree: there's an awful lot of obfuscation going on over Cadbury; lies, distortions and half-truths!

Cadbury has been a predator for years; Schweppes, Frys and others. The biter has now been bit!

The interesting point is that it isn't yet over; the shareholders could reject the bid, although that is now pretty unlikely as the shareholders who bought at the low-point have almost doubled their money in a year.

Naked capitalism at its best/worst.

I think Lord Rumba's point was aimed at keeping the unions and Labour faithful on-side!

So, with the pound and interest rates so low, who will be the next target?

Litotes
 
#4
Litotes said:
The interesting point is that it isn't yet over; the shareholders could reject the bid, although that is now pretty unlikely as the shareholders who bought at the low-point have almost doubled their money in a year.
Although the institutional shareholders interviewed on the "Today" programme yesterday said they wouldn't vote for any proposal under a tenner a share...
 
#5
The future doesn't look good for Bournville. Whatever the faults of the company and the limitations of paternalism, they did invest significantly in the local area and provided free facilities for the local community, making Bournville one of the best areas to live in the whole of Birmingham. Chances of Kraft keeping that up in the same way a misty-eyed Cadbury did? Not much....
 
#6
What happened to the Joseph Rowantree village in York? Was that affected when the name of Rowantree went (to the Swiss I believe)?
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#8
Cuddles said:
Stop it Peter, you are splitting my sides.
I hadn't realised that you were so intimately acquainted with the noble Lord 8)
 
#9
wedge35 said:
The future doesn't look good for Bournville. Whatever the faults of the company and the limitations of paternalism, they did invest significantly in the local area and provided free facilities for the local community, making Bournville one of the best areas to live in the whole of Birmingham. Chances of Kraft keeping that up in the same way a misty-eyed Cadbury did? Not much....
Don't Bourneville/Cadbury own the land for the next 999 years? Not saying that job cuts won't follow, but it will make it difficult for Kraft to completely up sticks and move.
 
#10
Auld-Yin said:
Cuddles said:
Stop it Peter, you are splitting my sides.
I hadn't realised that you were so intimately acquainted with the noble Lord 8)
He is not a noble Lord, he's a very naughty queer.
 
#11
wedge35 said:
The future doesn't look good for Bournville. Whatever the faults of the company and the limitations of paternalism, they did invest significantly in the local area and provided free facilities for the local community, making Bournville one of the best areas to live in the whole of Birmingham. Chances of Kraft keeping that up in the same way a misty-eyed Cadbury did? Not much....
Ask the people of Keynsham about how misty-eyed Cadbury are, they were planning to shut the factory and move it to Poland.

At least this way Cadburys in Keynsham will be saved, at least for the medium-term.
 
#13
"Ask the people of Keynsham about how misty-eyed Cadbury are, they were planning to shut the factory and move it to Poland"

My local pub used to be opposite the factory by the river - I have happy memories of wandering home, slightly merry in the summer to the wafting smell of chocolate cooking :)

Minor side point, that site was seriously considered as the location for what eventually became MOD Abbey Wood!
 
#15
CrazyLegs! said:
wedge35 said:
The future doesn't look good for Bournville. Whatever the faults of the company and the limitations of paternalism, they did invest significantly in the local area and provided free facilities for the local community, making Bournville one of the best areas to live in the whole of Birmingham. Chances of Kraft keeping that up in the same way a misty-eyed Cadbury did? Not much....
Ask the people of Keynsham about how misty-eyed Cadbury are, they were planning to shut the factory and move it to Poland.

At least this way Cadburys in Keynsham will be saved, at least for the medium-term.
It wasn't my intention to romanticise Cadbury, as I said - the company has as many faults as any other. But as harsh as it may sound, Keynsham meant nothing to Cadbury. Bournville most certainly did.
 
#16
you english ae so quaint,
Yankie wants to buy and shut your chocolate factories, putting men out of work and loosing taxes,
so you lend them the money
you pay a big bonus to the man who worked so hard to get yankies to take the money
and the english man on the clapam omonibus does nothing.

will the time come when your leadership sell off your army and ask the French to do your fighting for you

Will you do nothing untill your country runs out of lager....
 
#17
jemadarjo said:
you english ae so quaint,
Yankie wants to buy and shut your chocolate factories, putting men out of work and loosing taxes,
so you lend them the money
you pay a big bonus to the man who worked so hard to get yankies to take the money
and the english man on the clapam omonibus does nothing.

will the time come when your leadership sell off your army and ask the French to do your fighting for you

Will you do nothing untill your country runs out of lager....
Top tip: if you're going to troll for bites posing as a foreigner, translate your post in and out of English via Babelfish and tweak as appropriate. Makes it sound more believable.
 
#18
PassingBells said:
frenchie said:
Lets not forget that Kraft is raising some of the money for the takeover via...RBS. I'm not sure if I should laugh or be outraged at this.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8470776.stm
RBS is a bank. That's what banks do.
Or would you rather they took their business somewhere else?
Quite simply they have a cheek undermining a UK business having been supported by UK tax payers.
 
#19
jemadarjo said:
you english ae so quaint,
Yankie wants to buy and shut your chocolate factories, putting men out of work and loosing taxes,
so you lend them the money
you pay a big bonus to the man who worked so hard to get yankies to take the money
and the english man on the clapam omonibus does nothing.

will the time come when your leadership sell off your army and ask the French to do your fighting for you

Will you do nothing untill your country runs out of lager....
The French are perfectly capable of doing our fighting for us; that's why they exist.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top