Cadbury - sweetness and lies!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cuddles, Jan 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Oh I nearly crashed the car last night, listening to Lord Rumba of Rio undergoing questioning by the Trade select committee (I think).

A Tory MP was trying to make the point that whatever Kraft said, ultimately they would not be bound because that's business. Lord Mandelbum promptly replied "If somebody gives an undertaking, however aspirational, we should expect them to stick to it."

Stop it Peter, you are splitting my sides.

2. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

Its just fear of losing more support in the traditional Labour heartlands. They know full well that job cuts will follow, and just make some hollow noises to hopefully quieten those affected. I love headlines like 'Brown warns Kraft not to cut jobs' - Like they would take a damn thing that tw@t said seriously when nobody else does.

3. I agree: there's an awful lot of obfuscation going on over Cadbury; lies, distortions and half-truths!

Cadbury has been a predator for years; Schweppes, Frys and others. The biter has now been bit!

The interesting point is that it isn't yet over; the shareholders could reject the bid, although that is now pretty unlikely as the shareholders who bought at the low-point have almost doubled their money in a year.

Naked capitalism at its best/worst.

I think Lord Rumba's point was aimed at keeping the unions and Labour faithful on-side!

So, with the pound and interest rates so low, who will be the next target?

Litotes

4. Although the institutional shareholders interviewed on the "Today" programme yesterday said they wouldn't vote for any proposal under a tenner a share...

5. The future doesn't look good for Bournville. Whatever the faults of the company and the limitations of paternalism, they did invest significantly in the local area and provided free facilities for the local community, making Bournville one of the best areas to live in the whole of Birmingham. Chances of Kraft keeping that up in the same way a misty-eyed Cadbury did? Not much....

6. What happened to the Joseph Rowantree village in York? Was that affected when the name of Rowantree went (to the Swiss I believe)?

7. Here you go;

Rowntree's New Earswick village

8. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I hadn't realised that you were so intimately acquainted with the noble Lord 8)

9. Don't Bourneville/Cadbury own the land for the next 999 years? Not saying that job cuts won't follow, but it will make it difficult for Kraft to completely up sticks and move.

10. He is not a noble Lord, he's a very naughty queer.

11. Ask the people of Keynsham about how misty-eyed Cadbury are, they were planning to shut the factory and move it to Poland.

At least this way Cadburys in Keynsham will be saved, at least for the medium-term.

12. "Ask the people of Keynsham about how misty-eyed Cadbury are, they were planning to shut the factory and move it to Poland"

My local pub used to be opposite the factory by the river - I have happy memories of wandering home, slightly merry in the summer to the wafting smell of chocolate cooking :)

Minor side point, that site was seriously considered as the location for what eventually became MOD Abbey Wood!

13. RBS is a bank. That's what banks do.
    Or would you rather they took their business somewhere else?

14. It wasn't my intention to romanticise Cadbury, as I said - the company has as many faults as any other. But as harsh as it may sound, Keynsham meant nothing to Cadbury. Bournville most certainly did.