Cabinet split over £15bn proposed defence cuts

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Dec 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TREASON?

in full

http://www.guardian.co.uk/military/story/0,,2221531,00.html

2. Good for John Hutton, the 'business secretary', but he seems to be guided by his constituancy rather than anything else.
    What the fuk would Milliband know about military requirements? He is not old enough to shave yet is he?
    Edited to add outrage and a cautious pinch of salt.

3. How can anyone push for Defence Savings in the current climate? Everyone knows that means cuts, and you simply cannot cut the current level of funding further. The forces need more funding to achieve the current governments aims, not less.

The government needs to realise that the only reason we are embroiled in Afghan/Iraq now is because of Labour, and so they have to face facts and maintain the military properly.

(Ten years of Labour rule = Five conflicts of varying intensities)

4. gobment type #1

I tell you what, why don't we cancel orders for all the long lead time items, so WHEN (not if ) it really kicks off next time, we are well and truly F***ed.

gobment type #2

Hey, I like your thinking.

Why do we need all these boats, it's not like were an island nation with dependant territories and commitments around the globe is it?

And all these plane things, It's not like we are desperately short of CAS assets for our current commitments! And it's not like russia, china, india .... are increasing their military capabilities!

And these land vehicles, since when have wee needed more protection than a standard landrover?
    ---------

Somebody (not sven) tell me this is a bad joke!

Ski.

5. "The UK is the highest per capita spender on defence among its European allies, and Brown has said he is putting "more money than ever before" into the defence budget."

Possibly something to do with our level of commitment around the world?

Likewise to suggest that this Government has a strategy, nevermind a 10 year strategy, is ludicrous.

Anyway when can I apply for the next tranche of redundancy that is no doubt on it's way?

Jockster

6. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I'd love to see where they think they can cut 15 billion from. Still, it won't matter with labour only having about 2 years left, so will have no influence for another 20 years.

The Conservatives could do well to trumpet Defence at the moment and show clear blue water between them and labour. Worked for Maggie in the 80's.

7. my bold above.

Now thats a statement of fact that deserves repeating!

Ski.

8. The gobment have to get the £26+ billion back that they have 'loaned' Northern Rock somehow.

9. Or pull out of the EU and save money that way.

10. Attached Files:

11. Never heard of her - I had to google her name to find out who she was.

Unsurprisingly she knows nothing about defence.

'That’s Shriti Vadera — Gordon’s representative on earth’

12. ok save the cash pull out of Iraq Afghanistan hand the falklands and antarctic over :twisted:

no don't want to then its costs

13. This is the same DFID that has carried out hearts and minds operations by berating Afghan tribal leaders over their appalling record on gender equality and their reluctance to embrace inclusivity, one assumes....

I like the '...if BAE systems can be persuaded to waive cancellation charges.' I look forward to hearing reports of this alongside those about Satan calling in British Gas to deal with the heating problem that's left Hell looking somewhat icebound.

14. Hit back:
    I just found this, (courtesy of The Times).

200 signatures, and - apparently - PM's office has to reply.

15. I'm sure they can ask Wendy Alexander, Harriet Harmen, Peter Hain etc to ask their anonymous donors to help out! :x

This Government is a shower of complete and utter wa*&%rs who don't give a damn about the defence of this country but only the defence of their own worthless skins. How GB can have the gall to write about the courage of service personnel while at the same time presiding over the strangulation of all 3 services shows just what a sham his "integrity" is.

Rant over!