CAA bans Boeing 737 max 8

It is remarkable that the plane could actually land safely given the condition of that engine.
Whilst somewhat disconcerting to see and bloody scary for the pax - in terms of flying, with the fire contained its not much worse** than a broken Donk - Its not affecting the flight charecteristics much beyond that.

It would have made a loud bang and shook the aircraft and that will make your arse go 20p 50p

**Its going to be a little more draggy perhaps as the aerodynamic fairing has buggerred off

Whilst somewhat disconcerting to see and bloody scary for the pax - in terms of flying, with the fire contained its not much worse** than a broken Donk - Its not affecting the flight charecteristics much beyond that.

It would have made a loud bang and shook the aircraft and that will make your arse go 20p 50p

**Its going to be a little more draggy perhaps as the aerodynamic fairing has buggerred off
As a colleague of mine put it, they still had the engine and wing attached on landing safely...... the aircraft did its job reasonably well all things considered

In hindsight I would love to have been on that flight! I have an adrenaline issue. The biggest memorys you survive can be seconds and stay with you forever.

Showing your age there, sixpence half a crown ;-)

In hindsight I would love to have been on that flight! I have an adrenaline issue. The biggest memorys you survive can be seconds and stay with you forever.

You mad chap.
I have no fascination for incidents you can't run away from, throw at a junior or call fire support for. As I get older, over excitement is never good for my sanity or my laundry.

The following is a very interesting story in the Seattle Times about one the US FAA safety engineers who had involvement in fixing the problems with the Boeing 737 Max MCAS system.
FAA safety engineer goes public to slam the agency’s oversight of Boeing’s 737 MAX

The Seattle Times have had a history of having the most detailed and informative reporting on the Boeing problems.

I won't try to summarise the whole story, as it is quite detailed and covers a number of important issues. I can recommend reading it though.

Some points that I do wish to highlight though are that this FAA safety engineer doesn't consider the problems with the plane to be solved. and that it would be better to simply remove the MCAS system than try to fix it.

Well worth reading.

One of Canada's major airlines have just cancelled over a third of the Boeing 737 Max planes they had on order.
WestJet cancels orders for 15 Boeing 737 Max planes as industry struggles Social

Air Canada also cut Boeing 737 Max orders earlier. The common problem seems to be lack of people flying meaning they don't need and can't afford new planes.
"The common problem seems to be lack of people flying meaning they don't need, and can't afford, new planes . . ."

[Mandy R D walt]

"Well they would say THAT, wouldn't they . . . ?!"

[/Mandy R D walt]

Last edited:
"The common problem seems to be lack of people flying meaning they don't need, and can't afford, new planes . . ."

[Mandy R D walt]

"Well they would THAT, wouldn't they . . . ?!"
The problem with 737-Max orders isn't just a shortage of people wanting to fly, it's more an excess of people not wanting to plummet screaming out of the sky and smash into the ground.

The problem with 737-Max orders isn't just a shortage of people wanting to fly, it's more an excess of people not wanting to plummet screaming out of the sky and smash into the ground.
You say that like its a bad thing.

Latest Threads