Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CAA bans Boeing 737 max 8

Nah, just move the engine pylons out and forward a bit, lengthen the undercarriage and ......ah.
...I'll get me coat....

Why didn’t I think of that? What could possibly go right?

I guess it depends on how much the re-engineer it. The GENx is a great engine that offers economy but my “FFS, not again” sensors twitched on reading that! The current GENx is fecking huge compared to the CF6-80 that powers many current 767s so I can foresee redesign needs there.

Which went well last time they tried to bolt a new engine on a old airframe.

Well it sounds like a fairly conservative re-engineer, but with the rather sensible use of a longer undercarriage they failed to use on the 737 Max that led them into such fun and games.

Well it sounds like a fairly conservative re-engineer, but with the rather sensible use of a longer undercarriage they failed to use on the 737 Max that led them into such fun and games.

I recall something similar being said about changing a map light* on the flight deck. It turned into an epic saga of daylight visibility - NVG compatibility**, Peripheral glare -etc

Then theres safety cases -
I inherited (was voluntold) the safety case for a C130( E or H) Avionics upgrade.
Standby Att Ind- doddle use the one we always have for the Herc fleet
Fuel indication System Upgrade - Again piece of wee wee use the one purposely designed for the Herc (Possibly the J) - and installed on pretty much everyone's these days.

Those decisions made the mod proceeded -all swimmingly until certification time whereupon we hit a snag - The SBY Ind didnt meet the MTBF requirement and the Fuel Ind sys wasnt suitable for installation on a herc as it didnt meet the vibration part of environmental quals.
Cue running round like a loon trying to get acceptable mitigation. To add insult to injury the individual who was refusing to accept it - was the original author of both this and a previous (certified) one for exactly the same mods.

Or the quick cheap and easy modification which was exactly that - not a problem all went swimmingly until 6 months later when we went to incorporate the mod into the manuals - only to discover instead of appearing in 2 places (System WD and Electrical Distribution WD) this was referenced in multiple places- so we had to up issue a significant number of WDs at great expense ( 5 mins to change - several hours to approve)

Never ever buy into its a simple uncomplicated upgrade all to often EMs had his hand in the assessment

*or something of that ilk

**NVG compatible does not necessarily mean NVG compatible with the generation of equipment the operator used

Air India crash today, older model 737

In the second video who are all the random people just wandering around? No sign of rain either. Wonder if the crew had real licenses.......

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
EASA have completed testing on the Max, next step is to evaluate what they learned:

usually the last thing heard on a scarebus black box
Also seems to be quite popular on the 737 Max 8 hit parade recently too.

Anyone remember the 757 ?
I rather liked it and as a purely speculative thought wonder if it can be re-vamped.

Latest Threads