CAA bans Boeing 737 max 8

Perhaps I'm the only one who suspects one or both of those solutions accompanied by a re-branding excercise: 737 MAX HiLo becomes 797
And the 737 goes away… the MAX is dead long live the 797!

And the other wildcard now coming into play is a GEnx engined 767-X to fill the post 'MAX' 737 hole while they design a new and better moustrap.

Advantages for Boeing - Its in production already, they are doing work on a GEnx engined 767-XF freighter anyway, it brings them in revenue and holds the line while they regroup. Estimated time to market - 5 years

And of course, as the current 767 is the USAF's new tanker, DoD Pork can be liberally applied to fund the design work… 'Honest! We're developing as new version for the USAF!

I can't imagine why all the orders for this deathtrap airplane have not been cancelled, and the ones built scrapped.

Who in their right mind would want to fly in one?.
I guess in reality, all aircraft have issues and risks. But I'd think in airline terms, there have got to be commercial factors that will leave potential customers desperate to cancel orders now, even once the current issues are resolved. Are they any good for the freight market? A cheap base for our next few P8's?

I guess in reality, all aircraft have issues and risks. But I'd think in airline terms, there have got to be commercial factors that will leave potential customers desperate to cancel orders now, even once the current issues are resolved. Are they any good for the freight market? A cheap base for our next few P8's?
No doubt a conversion programme could be viable. If the regulators approve and sign off on it, something they may be very reluctant to do after the FAA malfeasance over the original MAX versions.

I fly a lot and to some real shit holes. I flew around Iran in ancient Russian - I think tupolev - airliners belonging to Iran air until 2 of them fell out of the sky, one of which was the flight immediately before my flight to the same destination (Afwaz). I then found out that the Iran air tupolev aircraft were not allowed to land in any other country than Iran.

after that I refused to fly anything but Boeing or airbus. However now ......

and one of my jobs is to ID and destroy SA missiles. Which makes flying in and out of some of the shitholes an interesting experience as I sit there watching the aircrafts flight height profile on the screen.

endure

GCM
All they have to do then is persuade the public that they're safe to fly in...
did you ever worry about sailing about on top of 25,000 tonnes of petrol?

endure

GCM
did you ever worry about sailing about on top of 25,000 tonnes of petrol?

No because none of the ships I sailed on were built in the USA ;-)

Last edited:

WaLrus585

Old-Salt
Soon be back in the air

Maybe not - article in today's Times (hard copy - no link) suggests the FAA wants wiring relocated on nearly all the 800 built so far.

in short, according to the article, airlines already have enough planes for the next four years without buying any new ones. Many airlines had ordered planes they couldn't realistically have used even if air travel hadn't collapsed due to COVID-19. Boeing is particularly vulnerable because they produce a larger proportion of the wide body airliners that are most in oversupply, and more importantly, as Boeing 737 Max grounding goes past one year more customers will be able to walk away from their purchase contracts without penalty due to clauses in the contracts.

I will add that with a lot of people being forced to teleconference right now, that trend may continue to some degree after the COVID-19 crisis is past as people find they can do a lot of business without face to face meetings. If so, then a lot of business air travel may not come back. It won't go away altogether, but people will be asking more seriously about whether they can justify the expense of being physically present at a distant meeting when they could get the job done more quickly and cheaply by teleconference. If that happens, then there goes a chunk of routine air travel right there.

And the 737 cancellation wave has turned onto a tsunami,

The MAX is doomed, I tell ye, Doooomed.
I believe that the contracts have a clause which means the customer can duck out if there is no delivery in a year and that's where we are now.
I would imagine some airlines are breathing a huge sigh of relief as traffic levels are going to take a very long time to get back to previous levels.

Latest Threads