CAA bans Boeing 737 max 8

At the rate problems are cropping up, I'm weighing up the idea of putting money down on never
Unlikely to be this year. How far the grounding stretches into 2020 is the main question now, I would imagine.

In other news, we reveal where bears sh*t.
Boeing was worried about competion from Airbus, was in a hurry to get the new version on the market, and saw a commercial advantage for its customers in selling an aircraft with no extra training requirement. Maybe they worried that if pilots needed re-certifying for the Max8, airlines might say "Oh well, might as well retrain for the Airbus."
In one.

I know for certain that the Crew Oxygen works every time I go flying because I physically check it. I’m also led to believe that with the loss of a single cabin window the pressurisation system would keep the aircraft pressurised to no higher than 12,000’ which whilst above the generally accepted altitude at which brain function is degraded, 10,000’, it’s no great shakes.

There is also considerable system redundancy in the cabin mask system with extra masks in each row. The 787 system is also arguably safer as it’s a compressed gas bottle rather than the chemical oxygen generator type which generates considerable heat when operating.

Tool

LE
I know for certain that the Crew Oxygen works every time I go flying because I physically check it. I’m also led to believe that with the loss of a single cabin window the pressurisation system would keep the aircraft pressurised to no higher than 12,000’ which whilst above the generally accepted altitude at which brain function is degraded, 10,000’, it’s no great shakes.

There is also considerable system redundancy in the cabin mask system with extra masks in each row. The 787 system is also arguably safer as it’s a compressed gas bottle rather than the chemical oxygen generator type which generates considerable heat when operating.
Not all of us in 78Ds are crew.
There's no point in redundancy if the whole system does not work properly. I certainly do not want to be aware that in my row of 3 seats, one may not work on average. Average means that NONE of the masks in my seat area may work. It is also not much comfort that the system is designed to keep the pressure to 12k (my understanding was 8.5k) if it does not work .

Not all of us in 78Ds are crew.
There's no point in redundancy if the whole system does not work properly. I certainly do not want to be aware that in my row of 3 seats, one may not work on average. Average means that NONE of the masks in my seat area may work. It is also not much comfort that the system is designed to keep the pressure to 12k (my understanding was 8.5k) if it does not work .
Non pressurised aircraft are allowed to fly at 12000’ for 30 minutes without restriction.

Tool

LE
Non pressurised aircraft are allowed to fly at 12000’ for 30 minutes without restriction.
Thanks, Beefer - I understood it that COMMERCIAL aircraft kept the pressure at about 8.5k, as a combination of keeping the self-loading freight slightly "oxygen starved" and not putting too much pressure (no pun intended) on the airframe.

Thanks, Beefer - I understood it that COMMERCIAL aircraft kept the pressure at about 8.5k, as a combination of keeping the self-loading freight slightly "oxygen starved" and not putting too much pressure (no pun intended) on the airframe.
I thought it was 10000’ for most and 8000’ for the 787 but not 100% sure.

Pretty much correct. Typical cabin pressure is at about 8000’ and wholly correct that the reason is to limit the Differential Pressure (difference between internal and external pressure.

However

I thought it was 10000’ for most and 8000’ for the 787 but not 100% sure.
The 787 pressurises to about 6000’ Cabin altitude. This is because the carbon composite fuselage can withstand great Differential Pressure (also why the windows are about 60% bigger). The advantage is that you get more oxygen in your blood which reduces the effects of jet lag. 2000’ difference may not seem a lot but the effect is exponential.

As an aside, the carbon composite also has a better resistance to corrosion through moisture which means the humidity in the cabin is about 30% rather than the more normal 5% ish which further reduces the effects of jet lag.

Latest Threads