CAA bans Boeing 737 max 8

The approved answer to all that is grow a pair and man up quim lips.

Serious head says spot on. It's all high workload stuff but at the end of the day there has to be a way to go from monitoring pilot to total control without having to convince the retarded hamster pedalling the computer that you are indeed at the top of the command chain.

Flew F27 with no AP for over a thousand hours and as you say, just some bloke getting up for a piss requires trim bellwhiffery like Lance Armstrong in the TdF until it all settles down again. Hosties bimbling back and forth with meal and drinks carts is a fucking zoo when hand flying. We'll not talk about five hours in IMC sans autopilot on DC3s twice a week chucking Malawian deportees out of the country when the ITCZ is in town. Mentally a killer. Worse in congested airspace but AP allows the freedom to let your mind to wander to other issues that need sorting. Still needs monitoring but that only requires a tenth of the processing capability that hand flying uses.

The main issue is being able to sieze control of the ship with authority, rather than a negotiated settlement over time while it all turns to shit. All those computers make my arse twitch for good reason. They're nice to have but there has to be a positive method to cut them out of the game rather than leaving them a hovering menace that can bite you in the arse because they don't relinquish full control.

ETA: That dead stick landing on the M1 is not something you want to leave to the FMS.
How very uncivilised.

Africa, no A/P, weather, no aircon, no tea served by lithe lovelies.

You are correct on everything else though, don’t have to do it often but ensure I’m ready.

As for the ITCZ, we used to do a run down to Accra, quick night stop and home through the night. It was not unusual to find the bitch waiting for us just north. 50,000’ of evil, hundreds of miles long, the weather radar going tartan, not that we needed it as the night sky was lit up like the Eastern Front in 1942.

More than once I’ve turned round and gone back to Accra. Even another night in that above ground sewer is preferable to trying in vain to find a way through and saved on underwear, vomit up to the windows in the cabin, fuel and ultimately my allocated time on earth.

endure

GCM
How very uncivilised.

You are correct on everything else though, don’t have to do it often but ensure I’m ready.

As for the ITCZ, we used to do a run down to Accra, quick night stop and home through the night. It was not unusual to find the bitch waiting for us just north. 50,000’ of evil, hundreds of miles long, the weather radar going tartan, not that we needed it as the night sky was lit up like the Eastern Front in 1942.

More than once I’ve turned round and gone back to Accra. Even another night in that above ground sewer is preferable to trying in vain to find a way through and saved on underwear, vomit up to the windows in the cabin, fuel and ultimately my allocated time on earth.

Marine weather forecasts from Colombo Radio/4PB always included the position of the ITCZ.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
How very uncivilised.

Either you've been choosing the wrong airlines or they're promised you to a Lesotho loadie once he's paid the lobola.

Had a couple of ex SAA hosties on board. Really pretty and they'd come to the flight deck and massage your shoulders while asking what you wanted to drink/eat. Hard to focus on the question at times.

Used to get my bloodied brow mopped occasionally as well. Fershlugginer overhead radio stack had it in for me and nearly scalped me getting into my seat a time or two. Bit worrying for the pax seeing the bloodstained napkins being carried from the flight deck.

Either you've been choosing the wrong airlines or they're promised you to a Lesotho loadie once he's paid the lobola.
We’ve still got one or two. To be frank, the more senior ones are better value as like me, they’re not addicted to facechat, Love Island etc. Normal people.

Had a couple of ex SAA hosties on board. Really pretty and they'd come to the flight deck and massage your shoulders while asking what you wanted to drink/eat. Hard to focus on the question at times.

Used to get my bloodied brow mopped occasionally as well. Fershlugginer overhead radio stack had it in for me and nearly scalped me getting into my seat a time or two. Bit worrying for the pax seeing the bloodstained napkins being carried from the flight deck.
Sounds like the 737. It was designed for hermits and dwarves. I’ve got a half inch thick bit of scar tissue on the top of my head and every time I got back in the seat I had to check for whatever switch position I’d just changed using my nut on the overhead panel.

Yeo_Man

War Hero
I’m sure the bereaved families will have some sympathy with Boeing’s plight !!!

YM
Only if it reduced the amount of their payouts.

The head of Boeing said they may have to halt production of the 737 Max altogether until the planes are able to fly again. Currently production is still running at a low level.
www.cbc.ca/news/business/boeing-737-max-production-pause-ceo-1.5224489?cmp=rss
Boeing's CEO says the company will consider temporarily shutting down production of the 737 Max if the plane's return is significantly delayed beyond the company's October forecast.
Production of another of their new planes is delayed as well, the new 777x, due to problems with the engines.
Separately, Boeing on Wednesday announced the first flight of its 777X jumbo jet will be delayed until next year instead of late this year because of problems with the General Electric engines. Boeing still aims to deliver the first planes to airlines in late 2020.
Overall, revenue for the latest quarter has taken a nose dive, falling form $24 billion to $16 billion.
Revenue tumbled to $15.75 billion from $24.26 billion a year earlier.

Boeing appear to be bleating about cutting reduction and acting like a spoiled child yet it appears:
They sold aircraft with poorly written software.
They sold new design aircraft as a newer mark of an existing design to circumvent processes.
They denied any fault and blamed pilots when a 737 max crashed.
They lobbied behind scenes and took no responsibility.
They denied any fault and blamed pilots when a SECOND 737 max crashed
They lobbied behind scenes and took no responsibility
They 'released without charge' software updates to rectify existing software faults.

For me, they shouldn't fail because of poor design, they should fail for trying to sweep two incidents under the carpet and blaming pilots and 'third world airlines' and viewing the lives destroyed as an accountancy issue.

Boeing appear to be bleating about cutting reduction and acting like a spoiled child yet it appears:
They sold aircraft with poorly written software.
They sold new design aircraft as a newer mark of an existing design to circumvent processes.
They denied any fault and blamed pilots when a 737 max crashed.
They lobbied behind scenes and took no responsibility.
They denied any fault and blamed pilots when a SECOND 737 max crashed
They lobbied behind scenes and took no responsibility
They 'released without charge' software updates to rectify existing software faults.

For me, they shouldn't fail because of poor design, they should fail for trying to sweep two incidents under the carpet and blaming pilots and 'third world airlines' and viewing the lives destroyed as an accountancy issue.
So far they're getting off pretty lightly, in my opinion.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
The head of Boeing said they may have to halt production of the 737 Max altogether until the planes are able to fly again. Currently production is still running at a low level.
www.cbc.ca/news/business/boeing-737-max-production-pause-ceo-1.5224489?cmp=rss

Production of another of their new planes is delayed as well, the new 777x, due to problems with the engines.

Overall, revenue for the latest quarter has taken a nose dive, falling form $24 billion to $16 billion.
Karma's a bitch.

Air Canada, one of the major operators of the Boeing 737 Max has said that it does not appear that the plane will be flying in commercial service until at least the 8th of January. This has not been good for the airline as they have struggled to find replacements.
Air Canada is facing a tougher third quarter since Boeing grounded the 737 Max, with the airline announcing it will scrub the plane from its schedules until Jan. 8 and see capacity drop in one of its busiest travel periods.

"The 737 Max grounding will be felt more acutely in our very busy summer period," chief executive Calin Rovinescu said on a conference call with investors Tuesday.

"Already we're using our fleet as efficiently as is possible with the maximum number of hours per day … but it'll be more challenging," Rovinescu said.
It's not just that they are short of planes to fly now, it also affects them in that new planes haven't shown up. As a result they have not hired pilots or cabin crews for the new planes. Overall it will take up to a year after the planes are no longer grounded for things to return to normal.
"Their delivery schedule and our Max fleet plan are in a complete state of flux," said chief financial officer Michael Rousseau.

The airline hasn't hired pilots or cabin crews for the dozen missing Max 8s, nor is it planning to hire for the 14 other planes "until we have clarity," he said.

"As a result of this and other operational factors, it will take up to a year from the time when a decision is made to integrate them into our fleet after the ungrounding for all 50 planes to fly," Rousseau said, meaning the impact will likely be felt all through next year.

Air Canada, one of the major operators of the Boeing 737 Max has said that it does not appear that the plane will be flying in commercial service until at least the 8th of January. This has not been good for the airline as they have struggled to find replacements.

It's not just that they are short of planes to fly now, it also affects them in that new planes haven't shown up. As a result they have not hired pilots or cabin crews for the new planes. Overall it will take up to a year after the planes are no longer grounded for things to return to normal.
If I was Airbus, I would seize this whole moment/ fiasco and get as many sales as possible..

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So far they're getting off pretty lightly, in my opinion.
What I find difficult to understand is airlines don't seem to be cancelling their orders with Boeing. This may be due to Boeing having very tight contracts but when the likes of RyanAir say they have problems and may lay off staff because they can't get the aircraft I would have thought they would be trying to source elsewhere.

Now I appreciate that the likes of Airbus can't just pull up replacement aircraft off the parking lot but with such doubt as to whether the Max will ever fly again then new suppliers would be my thoughts and I would be letting Boeing know that, along with court cases for loss of business.

Latest Threads