CAA bans Boeing 737 max 8

Yup, there's just something about software with the ability to write you out of the equation that makes my teeth itch.

Hence the old pilots mantra ‘If it ain’t Boeing, I ain't going’ with regards to FBW Airbus’s

Now the market demand has brought Boeing into the same ‘pilot as a passenger when the computer say No’ world.

When we were finished the TP asked what we thought about flying a fly-by-wire machine and my colleague said “I’d be OK with operating a fly-by-wire machine as long as the wires ran down the middle of a fücking great steel control rod”
On yea (now) venerable olde MRCA (or Tornado) it has FBW but also control rods. Made from titanium!

Yup, there's just something about software with the ability to write you out of the equation that makes my teeth itch.
It's not just the software locking the biological interface out, but the software being told many different things. The biological interfaces at the computer-face no longer have direct knowledge of the devices they are developing for; going for the cheaper option doesn't overly help.

Hence the old pilots mantra ‘If it ain’t Boeing, I ain't going’ with regards to FBW Airbus’s

Now the market demand has brought Boeing into the same ‘pilot as a passenger when the computer say No’ world.
Not quite although I get where you’re coming from.

The 787 is genuinely FBW but you can till switch it all off and fly by Power, Attitude and Trim, just like a Cessna. In short, the soft pink bit is still part of the equation.

MCAS is a classic example of what happens when s/he ain’t as is the Airbus Strimmer at ?Strasbourg that flew into the trees, very gracefully, fully under control and exactly as instructed but fatally. The guys in the front were reduced to shouting WTF in French.

Not quite although I get where you’re coming from.

The 787 is genuinely FBW but you can till switch it all off and fly by Power, Attitude and Trim, just like a Cessna. In short, the soft pink bit is still part of the equation.

MCAS is a classic example of what happens when s/he ain’t as is the Airbus Strimmer at ?Strasbourg that flew into the trees, very gracefully, fully under control and exactly as instructed but fatally. The guys in the front were reduced to shouting WTF in French.
Do you know how hard it's to manually trim in a passenger jet?

**** it. Take off and nuke them all from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. I've already added the 737 Max to my personal "never flying on that thing without being under general anaesthetic" list along with the Osprey and the Chinook. Nothing Boeing could do at this stage would fix that.
Off you go in a Robinson then?

Ie, meat interface written out of the equation. If it won't allow you to disable the FMS/autopilot in a simple and quick manner, you're effectively a passenger.

I think he might, being as he’s an airline pilot.
Still doesn't know as much as redshift. Who will be tropper when he gets older.

Last edited:
Still doesn't know as much as redshift. Who will be trooper when he gets older.
Redshit still around? I put back on ignore after the boomerang flounce.

Redshit still around? I put back on ignore after the boomerang flounce.
Still the Oracle on all subjects. Currently teaching pilots about low level flying.

Still the Oracle on all subjects. Currently teaching pilots about low level flying.
The bloke/girl/thing is amazing. I suppose he was the internet before the internet came along and was widely available to everyone. Prior to then it was just us lucky few with access to his vast store of knowledge and experiences.
Whether you wanted it or not.

Last edited:
I think he might, being as he’s an airline pilot.
And 6 years Walting as a sim instructor on the 737, 10 years actually flying it (during which flying I used the manual trim wheel a few times to trim full nose up for deicing. The electric trim doesn’t give full authority so you had to do the last bit by hand. The purpose was to drain water / deicing fluid from the horizontal stabilizer).

@Lardbeast as filled in the rest.

I don’t do such things now, it’s very undignified this manual labour stuff. I have several hundred computers in 3 voted control systems and 5000 psi of hydraulics that sort all that shit out.