CAA bans Boeing 737 max 8

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Britain bans Boeing's latest plane model after Ethiopia crash

CAA statement

A spokesperson for the UK Civil Aviation Authority said: "Our thoughts go out to everyone affected by the tragic incident in Ethiopia on Sunday.

"The UK Civil Aviation Authority has been closely monitoring the situation, however, as we do not currently have sufficient information from the flight data recorder we have, as a precautionary measure, issued instructions to stop any commercial passenger flights from any operator arriving, departing or overflying UK airspace.

"The UK Civil Aviation Authority's safety directive will be in place until further notice.

"We remain in close contact with the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and industry regulators globally."

-ENDS-

CAA statement

A spokesperson for the UK Civil Aviation Authority said: "Our thoughts go out to everyone affected by the tragic incident in Ethiopia on Sunday.

"The UK Civil Aviation Authority has been closely monitoring the situation, however, as we do not currently have sufficient information from the flight data recorder we have, as a precautionary measure, issued instructions to stop any commercial passenger flights from any operator arriving, departing or overflying UK airspace.

"The UK Civil Aviation Authority's safety directive will be in place until further notice.

"We remain in close contact with the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) and industry regulators globally."

-ENDS-
That's Norwegian a bit f-ed then for a bit. Because they are one of the largest operators of the type.

Some operators will always show a marked reluctance to see their investments (or part of it) sitting idly and very expensively on the tarmac. For this reason, they may not always make the correct decision. At least now they can turn to their shareholders and say 'Not us, guv'.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
CAA source

There are currently five 737 MAX aircraft registered and operational in the United Kingdom. A sixth is planned to commence operations later this week.

The US Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is responsible for certifying all Boeing 737 MAX models and it is the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) that validates this certification across the EU, including the UK.

on a aviation site earlier it was speculated to be a catastrophic engine failure that ripped the wing and caught fire. trouble is the more reliable rollys royce trent power plant variant is more costly and has its own issues

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
I was going to suggest

' speculation as to the cause at this point helps no-one,wait for the AAIB report'

- but a grown-up will be along shortly to say much the same I expect...

I was going to suggest

' speculation as to the cause at this point helps no-one,wait for the AAIB report'

- but a grown-up will be along shortly to say much the same I expect...
going by what was seen from the ground it's fair to say it was the engine, but until the authorities report on the black box recording it will be not known but this site is called the british army rumour service after all?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

CAA statement

-ENDS-
EASA might be joining the ban

Main airlines affected by UK decision
Norwegian as noted above
TUI
LOT
Air Canada
Icelandair

China, Singapore, Malaysia & Australia have ordered 737s in their jurisdictions grounded.

And the President has decided to weigh in

EASA might be joining the ban

Main airlines affected by UK decision
Norwegian as noted above
TUI
LOT
Air Canada
Icelandair

China, Singapore, Malaysia & Australia have ordered 737s in their jurisdictions grounded.

And the President has decided to weigh in

trump on the case we are saved & safe now as he is the man of reason?

trump on the case we are saved & safe now as he is the man of reason?
He actually has a point. If it all goes tits I’m all for switching it all off and going into Cessna 150 mode. Problem is Airbus have made that increasingly difficult and Boeing are going that way. When computer geeks are deciding they know better, be that from designing your microwave to designing your holiday jet, the world has rarely become a better place IMHO.

He actually has a point. If it all goes tits I’m all for switching it all off and going into Cessna 150 mode. Problem is Airbus have made that increasingly difficult and Boeing are going that way. When computer geeks are deciding they know better, be that from designing your microwave to designing your holiday jet, the world has rarely become a better place IMHO.

Which was my point yesterday… Boeing seem to have pushed the performance envelope of the MAX for no reason beyond 'because we can' - its not your mums grocery getter 737 no more - even if the certification claims it is.

An acquaintance who now flys for airtours liked the old ( cable operated) boing product over airbuses aircraft.
As he put it “ if I put in an emergency input, I don’t want four French computers arguing over if I I really meant to do it before executing a controll deflection”

Quite. Making suggestions to a computer in the hope it'll think it's a good idea is something that makes my Luddite arse twitch.

Problem is Airbus have made that increasingly difficult and Boeing are going that way.
I think the problem here - from what I gather, so I could be wrong - is the fact that Boeing not informing/ training pilots on this new MCAS feature. I mean it was even missing from bloody crew ops manuals!

And it comes into play at the most crucial times - take off or landing - and the similarities for both the accidents are uncanny.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
it is the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) that validates this certification across the EU, including the UK.[/I]
That's a glowing endorsement for the agency that will looking after UK aviation interests after Brexit if they can't identify problems before one its members does.

There are very few actual proper geeks and nerds out there - I used to watch the idiots who are now running the departments designing critical software bin diving in the Uni computer labs to pull out the print outs my group discarded. I am never surprised when systems fail.

My thoughts as well. Keep It Simple Stupid.

My thoughts as well. Keep It Simple Stupid.
From what I am able to gather, the god of improved fuel efficiency (and therefore aircraft sales) has been appeased at the cost of an aircraft structural design that can only be managed in flight by onboard computer systems, which may or may not work.

Funny way to run a railroad.

Ritch

LE
on a aviation site earlier it was speculated to be a catastrophic engine failure that ripped the wing and caught fire. trouble is the more reliable rollys royce trent power plant variant is more costly and has its own issues
Except eye witnesses have said the plane was intact and there was no smoke whilst it plummeted to the ground.

Latest Threads