C4 News on Now Ref Blairs promise to the troops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by nigegilb, Oct 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. C4 are reporting on Blair's promise to give the troops anything they need on now
  2. Saw it. Agree with the pundit they had on at the end.... wait for tony to put his money where his mouth is! And that this should have started ages ago.

Would be nice to see them start doing something other than denying they need to do anything again!
  3. AVM John Baird has been very supportive to the hercules foam campaign and very critical to the Govt. There are 2 hercules sitting on the pan at Marhalls. they have been over used and have run out of hours. there is no money to pay for the servicing in this financial year.

There are 8 SF Chinook helicopters sitting around collecting dust. they need £127m spending on them

PM put your money where your mouth is. Order that man next door to hand over the money.
  4. The money is there. Its just not being spent. Its that simple.
  5. This could be good, blair promises the troops and puts the nasty chancellor on the spot. Will he let the troops down or give them what Tony said they can have?

6. The journos I have spoken with can't believe Blair has made this promise, makes you wonder if it is a stitch up.

If you missed the report, C4 normally post it on their web site. I will look for a link.
  7. i think its all a big con.
    i for one can not see this happening.
  8. Sounds like a drowning man looking for a life raft to me.
  9. I suspect they are about to climb down and give General Richards the 1,000-man rapid reaction force they promised him originally but it beats me how he will find the troops, or indeed any more transport helicopters. Could they lease some Chinooks from the Yanks perhaps?
  10. Sky News

11. Or is it his parting gift to Gordon?

Think about it. Gordon is known for his financial 'prudence' (see thight purse strings!), and now Tony has seen a chance to sock it to Gordon by forcing his hand. By making the grandstanding gesture of dedicating money for the armed forces, Blair has committed Brown to spending money. The decision will be delayed until Gordon is in power, and there is no way he is going to say no to such a popular issue. In essence, Blair has made one of Brown's first policy decisions for him! :D
  12. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

Which rather begs the question whether or not anyone at the MoD has a clue what is going on in Afgahnistan at all! It really is not a statement calculated to gain the respect of our troops. Perhaps we could find some money by cutting a few spin doctors posts... :twisted:
  13. You are going to have to explain that one to me a bit more. I know somewhere a lot of spare money could go!
  14. Bloody false promise, he knows full well that airframes and crew are not available. Its another deployment where we go in without a thought for the consequences of our actions, and we will be sucked in just as the Russians were.
  15. Of course the other side of the coin is that it really looks like Labour like to send to forces off without the equipment required to do the job, whenever they fancy looking like the international 'big man'.