C4 Mark of Cain Last night - TA view

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by bibo_boy, Apr 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone else think that this pile of pants has done wonders for TA/Reg relations and helped the public perception of the TA.

i.e. part-timers who are hated by everyone in the regs and cr@p at soldiering freezing at the first sign of a contact?

Did any Army people who have served in Iraq (TA and Reg) consult on this?

Nice one!!!!!

2. Didn't see it as it was on Channel 4.

Hopefully, if it was as dubious as you say, the fact that it was on Channel 4 should limit it's impact. A bit like the Army recruiting adverts.

3. Does anyone know if this is repeated or not?

4. The inclusion of the 'weekend warrior'* in Mark of Cain last night was just an excuse to have a pop at yet another perceived failing of the Army which was the main effort of this 'docudrama'.

I was only surprised they failed to complain about their rifles or return to poor quality quarters at the end of their tour.

Yes the treatment of the TA angle was shoddy but so was the whole programme.

One question I have is how come, of all the soldiers there, was the TA bod a driver and fammed onto Wolf? No, don't answer, you'll only get me started...

*was that the best they could do?

5. It was a pile of steaming old pony. What was the point of this "drama"?

It can only serve to damage the already bad image the uneduacted public have on us (Reg or TA)

According to this rubbish we're a bunch of bullying cowrads, who enjoy watching forced Gay Iraqi sex.

Sounds more like Trisha that real-life.

I just hope the Army/MOD didn't assist in this. I'd be so surprised to hear they ahd helped the media make the Forces look bad (again!)

6. Oh and it came out on DVD last Monday, advertised all week in the Metro newspaper.

Excuse my many typo's. New computer and not sure where the keys are yet!

7. Regarding a repeat - they have released it as a DVD.

8. Regarding the DVD - Rhino Stopper has released it as a repeat

Squiggles x

9. Doh !

I meant they have had the audacity to now attempt to flog it !

10. Thanks Goku,

just had my rant on there!

11. Right chaps, its on teleport replay, I watched it this morning.

What an absolute pile of shit it was. And it was a really bad show for Reg/TA relations.

12. Letters by post have far more impact than emails these days, and Ch. 4 executives are obliged to answer them. So a minor deluge of ARRSErs' letters might make Ch. 4 and its film-makers pay attention.

Or not, if they were given the impression that the film actually had an impact greater than it seems to have had. An individual judgement, I think . . .

The Ch. 4 Commissioning Editor who tasked Tony Marchant to do this film is called Liz Marshall, and according to the Ch. 4 website, letters to her should be addressed to :

Channel 4 Enquiries
    PO Box 1058
    Belfast
    BT1 9DU

13. "On three times the pay and only a third of the training" - Really got my Goat, completely unfair comment.

I havent had ANY training!

14. I just think the whole thiing was a pile of pants. I'd seen it advertised and read a bit in the paper about it so wanted to watch it, just to c what all the fuss was about.

As far as i can tell, all achieved was making the public's perception of guys in iraq even worse. Eventhough it was advertised as a drama, fiction!!!, u know that there will be a large number of people ( mostly the 'do-gooders') who will have watched it and taken it as more a documentary of the daily routine of blokes in iraq - patrol a bit, shoot random animals and then spend most of their time abusing iraqis and then stabbing each other in the back at the first opportunity.

I dont really see what the programs makers were tryin to achieve.