C17th English Civil War re-enactment

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by AFG252, Nov 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A good few years ago I saw one of those big noisy battles at the showground near Braintree in Essex where about 800 people dressed as Roundheads and Cavaliers knocked and shot the sh!t out of eachother (in the name of raising cash for a local hospice) and afterwards succeeded in drying out an entire beer tent.

Are you involved with this serious bit of fun ? love to get involved.
  2. Yes, I got involved at the very young age of 39, partly out of a big gap in my history knowledge (as I spent more time arsing around in history at school, than committing any of it to gray matter). But more for the very active 'apres battle' that goes on with some quite easy drinking real ales.

The Sealed Knot have units all over the UK and I guarantee there are several up in the smoke.

I have a whale of a time (well from what I can remember) plus I get to turn loads of black powder into smoke, what more could the inner child ask for.
  3. Sealed Knot eh ? cheers Poacher.
  4. Are we back on SLR's?
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Only if you join a third world army.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If you really must then War And Peace at the Hop Farm near Paddock Wood is good for spotting but it is also walt central. They try and legitimise it by having free admission for WW2 vets but there probably arent that many left.
    I do know there is an SADF society there and you can wear brown ovies and talk shit with ouens over a beer whilst admiring your deactivated R1!
  7. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I'm also a member of the Knot, if you want to know a local Regt to where you live PM detail & I'll give you a list, both Parliament & Royalist. Being in either has nothing to do with you be a 21st century republican or royalist, it's just who you want to have fun with. Likewise you don't really need to be with a unit local to your area, I'm adjitant of a West Country Regt but live in East Anglia.

The Sealed Knot | Love History? Live history with the Sealed Knot.
  8. Some welcome Gen there lads - Ruperts sounds a bit dodgy (if you know what I mean)

Thanks !
  9. There was a big split in the SK many many years back and the ECWS (english civil war soceity) was formed. I was in the SK with my dad
    as a kid, earle of stamfords reg of foote. Had a great time. One thing you will find... the philosophical split in re enactment between
    really authentic people who want to do living history and crafts to find info on the past and those who just want a pageant and a beer and
    bash... much to be said from both points of view, but the 2 dont like to mix. (Judean Peoples Front anyone ??)

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I once worked with a senior bod in the ECWS. Apparently, if and when they ever squared up against the SK, it was 1641 all over again and studied re-enactment took a back seat.
  11. Sounds a little like Ye Olde Pye club

some would go as far as checking the pedigree of the herd that the steak would come from, correct ingredients in the gravy and only accept a certain pastry lid and pie case.... whereas most just wanted to eat the blimmin' thing !
  12. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Stamfords are still about.
  13. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

It's bad enough when the Knot are fighting each other, at a big event with a thousand or so on each side it can take some controlling especially when some don't want to be controlled. A pikeman can't really call himself one until he had a scar across the bridge of his nose from the rim of a steel helmet!