• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

C-IED Trainer

Sirs, Ladies, Gent

I may have picked up a C-IED Training job on Herrick. Has anyone got any tips on courses that would be useful or have done a similar job before.

Cheers

Slow n Old

I'd have thought that would have been a pre requisite for the job?

However you’re more likely to get a place on the course now that your job depends on it.

So did I. So was surprised when that was offered. As soon as I found out I did do the instructor course but it didn't make me feel that I could stand in front of guys that have done multiple tours and train then in skills that they need to save there lives. I owe it to them to be better than that. It was mentioned that the train the trainer course on C-IED or a mine awareness course would be the next step but I don't have any details.
Cheers SnO

Ok give me a tick I have the DIN regarding this somewhere, but there is a few things that can be done to augment this.

Ground sign awareness is one off the top of my head, I thought the CIED Instructor course covered things like mine awareness or did you just do the one to conduct MATT 9.

Remember when providing your awareness all you are doing is teaching the up to date practices as detailed to you, so regardless of experience of the audience its just the passage of up to date information to them, it may help chatting to the REWW how might advise you on getting some time with their SMEs.

Yes they did all that, but the mine awareness part was 15 mins and as I don't have the mine quals I can't teach back. The course was good and it has given me a lot to work from its just they kept on that it was generic and couldn't talk about Barma or Karla as that was theatre specific. The REWW are who. Cheers SnO

The search school run the C-IED course but it is loaded by D Trg (A). Unless you are deploying or posted to a training establishment you won't get a place. RTCs are now running Assistant IED instructor for unit level.

Depends which course your after, they have one that allows you to conduct CIED MATT or the one that can make lots of little CIED MATT instructors :)

Royal Engineer Warfare Wing, they might be able to point you in the direction some one to talk too.

CIED instructors is the obvious answer but also:

Ground sign awareness (aka tracking) is being promoted as a supplement to this.

It may be the deploying Brigade are running internal cadres / train the trainer courses that you should be able to attend; you might even get yourself to Brunei to attend the jungle trackers course (which LAND are actively "selling" as a GSA course).

The search school run the C-IED course but it is loaded by D Trg (A). Unless you are deploying or posted to a training establishment you won't get a place. RTCs are now running Assistant IED instructor for unit level.
Can you expand please - location, duration etc

TIA

BB

Course is run in Kent, 2 weeks long.
TA only get one place per course, and it usually goes to RTC's so they can have the daddy instructor to set up thier C-IED Wings to provide cascade training.
If your getting deployed then the course may be part of that units allocation instead of taking the TA slot.

15 Bde are running Asst C-IED Instr if you can get T&S approved for the trip to York. Asst C-IED is 3 weekends (minimum rank Cpl, DIT qualified).

Details for JWIC/GSAIC/OTIC are in 2010DIN07-045.

Thanks Gents,

The Ground sign awareness seems a very good route as IED have now started to have zero metal content. So its those 5 and 20's looking for the abnormal that may aid the soliders on the ground. Cheers SnO

15 Bde are running Asst C-IED Instr if you can get T&S approved for the trip to York. Asst C-IED is 3 weekends (minimum rank Cpl, DIT qualified).

Details for JWIC/GSAIC/OTIC are in 2010DIN07-045.
RTMC are running them too, but only 3 days. And the policy doc says min rank SNCO...

The Policy doc for delivering MATT 9 says SNCO with DITs, the policy doc for attending the Asst CIED Instructors course is Cpl with DITs.

Latest Threads