Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

C Company, London Regiment/ London Regiment

This antipathy seems pretty much mutual, this was not always so. In fact there was a time when quite a few Londons officers were quite keen on the Idea of a single Guards Cap badge for the regiment, They tended to be the non deploying holders of the windy pair (QGJM, TD)or the Flatulent four (QGJM,QDJM,TD,VRSM).

At least one had an MBE and TELIC medal (and was very keen on his BRB appendages).

They all seemed to be very keen on cutting around in the Blue Red Blue Guards tie. That is until they were told in no uncertain terms to take them off. I hear the official reason was that they were wearing them at inappropriate times , or that the wrong colour was at the top of the knot (For this read “You are not the right sort”). After which they all re found the loyalty to their individual cap badges.

Really, when did that happen? Genuine question - as there certainly were a lot of BRB ties still being sported by all LONDONS ranks last time I looked (albeit a couple of years back). I'd also been told that the wearing of the tie by the LONDONs was at the specific direction of the senior colonel of the household division.

At least one had an MBE and TELIC medal (and was very keen on his BRB appendages).

Really, when did that happen? Genuine question - as there certainly were a lot of BRB ties still being sported by all LONDONS ranks last time I looked (albeit a couple of years back). I'd also been told that the wearing of the tie by the LONDONs was at the specific direction of the senior colonel of the household division.

1) To be fair I think Both the Company commanders of our TELIC days were keen to make the Guards connection work, and I don’t include either of them in the general disdain, that I do for the Non deploying Lizards that treated the regiment as a exercise in social mobility. ( Caveat: to add that I do include those that only went out on the late HERRICKs after the white feather decrees) .

2) Don't know when this happend but it is very much the case now.
The London’s despite having a large catchment area seem to be not only struggling to recruit , but more importantly retain, as are the Regular Guards Bns that they are expected to support. But still looks as if they are on to a winner now. How long will it be before the Airborne warriors of White City, the Blades of RPB, and the RMR and myriad of other London units, will be holding their manhood cheap, and thinking themselves accursed , that they are not in the London’s doing pace stick competitions?

Last edited:
Gents, I know this is a vintage thread but would welcome a few pointers.

A member of extended family has secured a job in central London, and is looking at enlisting with the Army Reserve. The London Regiment seems to be the most practical one for him to get to. It seems to come down to London Irish vs London Scottish (bound to inflame strong passions...)

I've been out of the mob for a few years now and don't have any connections in that direction. Anyone able to give some pointers between the two?

Ta.

Why not tell him about The Parachute Regiment ?

The Tenth Bn ( now known as 4 PARA ) is / was located in Shepherds Bush,West London and easily accessed by Tube ( Central Line ) and offers a much richer experience than the one(s) offered ?

Maybe The Duke ( if he's still on here ? ) can help / advise ?

Funny thing is , that as far as I am aware. The only Guards officer currently in the unit is the QM a Scots Guards LE, Most of the others have either been made redundant or getting out anyway. The Guards Div have treated the London’s with distain from the start, as the TA (Reserve)/ Guards ethos are so far apart it is like mixing Oil and Water. The only people from the Guards that seem to have any interest in the Londons remaining as part of the Guards are the Ex Guardsmen that have got out and are serving on FTRS.

This antipathy seems pretty much mutual, this was not always so. In fact there was a time when quite a few Londons officers were quite keen on the Idea of a single Guards Cap badge for the regiment, They tended to be the non deploying holders of the windy pair (QGJM, TD)or the Flatulent four (QGJM,QDJM,TD,VRSM). They all seemed to be very keen on cutting around in the Blue Red Blue Guards tie. That is until they were told in no uncertain terms to take them off. I hear the official reason was that they were wearing them at inappropriate times , or that the wrong colour was at the top of the knot (For this read “You are not the right sort”). After which they all re found the loyalty to their individual cap badges.

This has been an unhappy experiment, that will hopefully be ended in SDSR2015.

Christ, how pathetic, and what an example of all that is bad in the reserve officer corps. Way back in 1977 I joined the London Jocks, and we had a very clear identity, it certainly didn't need enhancing by being part of the Household Div, we already provided the Queen Mother's personal piper FFS.

Christ, how pathetic, and what an example of all that is bad in the reserve officer corps. Way back in 1977 I joined the London Jocks, and we had a very clear identity, it certainly didn't need enhancing by being part of the Household Div, we already provided the Queen Mother's personal piper FFS.

Was Campbell-Lamerton still with you at that time ?

Can't send pm but can't see the bullshit.

If you want to pm me I can give the full details.

If that turns out to be bullshit then fair one. Would have happened about 2 to 4 years ago

To be fair mate it does sound a bit of an urban myth. After all short of Royalty who in London does not have their address prefixed by a number? Even the Duke of Wellington, lived in a numbered house (Ok Number One London does have a bit more of a ring to it than 32B Oil Drum Lane)

To be fair mate it does sound a bit of an urban myth. After all short of Royalty who in London does not have their address prefixed by a number? Even the Duke of Wellington, lived in a numbered house (Ok Number One London does have a bit more of a ring to it than 32B Oil Drum Lane)

Just passing on the story.

Perhaps it was tongue in cheek but there you go.I do trust the chap.

And of course as ever don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Just passing on the story.

Perhaps it was tongue in cheek but there you go.I do trust the chap.

And of course as ever don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

I have heard something along those lines, so now there are two of us we can declare it a Gen Dit .

The Londons were a happy mob, or as happy as a load of massively cut down cap badges amalgamated into one unit in a seriously fought over recruiting area could be. All in all there was a simple split between the "Celts" and the "Angles". It was a sweet and innocent time as there wasn't really any antipathy. Actually there really wasn't any real dislike, just healthy rivalry. Coming from "the other side" I liked and respected the supposedly "Celtic" fringe. Most of them were about as Celtic as my Mother, i.e. not at all! But I admired their adherence to their lineage and identity.

I believe that the problems started when two companies of RGJ (who to be fair did not want to become part of The Londons) were forced in fairly soon after The Londons came into existence. Basically, it unbalanced a group that were learning to get on. No criticism of the RGJ Coys is intended as very definitely this is not what they wanted whatsoever. I would love to meet up with a number of the chaps on a range and shoot over old times. I'd probably (if not definitely) lose, but chatting in the bar with old friends would be a lot of fun.

I think The Londons is a perfect example of how additional unnecessary stress can mess up a Battalion or Regiment.

Given the relative influence of different organizations within The British Army, I cannot see any other outcome other than that The London Regiment came under the purview of The Guards Division. 80 years ago it would have been The Royal Fusiliers. Times change. To me it is good that people wanted to embrace their new overarching identity especially as it allowed all parties to cap badge as per their history. This difference in cap badge and therefore interference from multiple headquarters or Regiments was unlikely to be welcomed by The Guards Division IMO.

I like The Londons and served in them, but the internecine squabbling and "special interests" dismay me whilst at the same time I applaud the "arrogance" of the proponents in putting forward their specific views.

It is not a simple situation. All health and happiness to each of The Londons Coys and to the Battalion.

GH

Funny thing is , that as far as I am aware. The only Guards officer currently in the unit is the QM a Scots Guards LE, Most of the others have either been made redundant or getting out anyway. The Guards Div have treated the London’s with distain from the start, as the TA (Reserve)/ Guards ethos are so far apart it is like mixing Oil and Water. The only people from the Guards that seem to have any interest in the Londons remaining as part of the Guards are the Ex Guardsmen that have got out and are serving on FTRS.

This antipathy seems pretty much mutual, this was not always so. In fact there was a time when quite a few Londons officers were quite keen on the Idea of a single Guards Cap badge for the regiment, They tended to be the non deploying holders of the windy pair (QGJM, TD)or the Flatulent four (QGJM,QDJM,TD,VRSM). They all seemed to be very keen on cutting around in the Blue Red Blue Guards tie. That is until they were told in no uncertain terms to take them off. I hear the official reason was that they were wearing them at inappropriate times , or that the wrong colour was at the top of the knot (For this read “You are not the right sort”). After which they all re found the loyalty to their individual cap badges.

This has been an unhappy experiment, that will hopefully be ended in SDSR2015.

Your comments seem perfectly in synch with why LONDONS had no personnel on Op Herrick 19 despite being long planned to support that deployment but 7 RIFLES sent 22 personnel for Op Herrick 20.

As a putative "Guards Reserve" battalion, logic would have dictated that the London Regiment should have mobilised troops to support the Coldstream Guards for their Herrick 19 deployment. Herrick 19 was indeed scaled down, but the entire Guards Battalion did deploy - first a platoon within that tour's BRF followed by the rest of the Coldstreamers in February 2014 in Kabul taking over from SCOTS DG in a FP role. Toms were apparently rotated through on short tours to maximise operational experience. And yet, no reservists were among them, although I understand the London Regiment mobilised bods in May 2013 for Herrick 19 only to be binned inexplicably.

7 RIFLES had been similarly tasked to support Op Herrick 20, and was successful in mobilising 22 members to support 5 RIFLES in Helmand and 2 RIFLES in Kabul (who took over from the Coldstreamers).

I have a suspicion a lot of this is down to the Guards not feeling any sort of "common cause" with the London Regiment, while 2 and 5 RIFLES saw their colleagues from 7 RIFLES in a more sympathetic light, helped by a common and clear supra-regimental identity. If any antipathy towards reservists by the Guards was part of it, it is indeed ironic as the American unit who the Coldstreamers worked with in Kabul, the 162nd Infantry, was entirely composed of Oregon reservists.

Apologies for derailing the thread slightly, but is it true that you chaps are going to re-locate in the not-too far away future? Ta.

@Bravo_Bravo Good point I have been hearing this again, I know Davis Street was said to be going due to the cross rail project, but the last I heard it had all changed, and that it was to stay. Now I'm hearing it is back on again.

It all seems a bit like the St Johns Hill Saga, that was supposed to become the site of the ticket hall for the Northern Line extension, that seems to have been bind.

Last edited: