Bye bye BMI ?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Shaithis, Feb 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, is it time to say bye bye to BMI ?. I have been having a look about at different sites and stuff to see what others think, as BMI isn't really a good indication of fitness. The whole height / weight ratio really depends on body shape, body size (muscle) and other things.

Just because a BMI chart tells you you are underweight/ overweight or obese should not be a "set in stone" procedure for judging if they are fit or not.

With me, i am 38, can pass a PFT, but, because i do weights as well as CV work, my BMI is 31.5 ....which according to the chart is obese. But, my waist is only 34 inches !!.

BMI bye bye

That is one of the places i was looking at.

Just wanted to know other peoples opinion of BMI, and if they agree or disagree if it is a bad method of judging fitness.

2. Its not set in stone, its a guideline.

3. BMI is bollox to put it bluntly - According to BMI most of the 6 Nations rugby players are clinicaly obese. What it is used for is your average joe bloggs who needs it put in black and white that that he is a fatty because he cannot tell when looking in the mirror. It gives him something to aim towards

4. My BMI has always been 'overweight' but it does say on the site I used (an NHS link) that if I was a bit over but regularly worked out then that was expected. However the BMI Shaithis has would be out their 'don't worry about it' advice (I think it was for the 26 - 30 BMI.

I think BMI is ballox if you train.

5. I couldn't agree with you more. Sadly when for example, police federations sub contract their medical selection boards to 'civvy' companies, it's the BMI standard they go by.

My nephew is a national standard decathelete and also has a 2:2 in Sports Science was rejected by a police force owing to his BMI rating. Yes, he appealed and subsequently got in, but the time taken and the bureaucracy involved was nothing ordinary. Commonsense and an experienced PTI present could have readily averted the paperwork follow-on.

6. Was he over or under Alec?
    Daley Thompson, arguably the worlds greatest decathlete, had a BMI of 25.71.
    The police set their acceptable BMI limits at 18 - 30.

7. Heavyweight boxers at their peak generally have BMI's well into the obese range.

8. I know some heavyweights who must be in the 30's and are much fitter then my now currently lazy arse.

9. The really amusing statistic is that people just below 25 have higher mortality than those above - loads of people diet to get below 25 as if this is some magical number, lose muscle, and end up in worse shape.

10. Granted, but not everyone with a BMI below 25 has had to diet to get down to that score. My BMI is 23.5 even though I eat more than most people. I just eat the right things in the right proportions.
    Oh yes, and I train for 18+ hrs a week, which probably helps.
    The BMI works just fine for some of us.

11. My BMI is horrific, mainly because I am one of the select breed who play in the front row of the scrum.

Whilst I freely admit that I'm a lump, and am probably carrying a bit too much around the waist, I still get in in under 10 minutes for the PFT, and nail the CFT to the fucking wall.

It shouldn't make a difference. What should matter is if you can pass the phys tests.

12. Keep in mind your Body Fat % along with the BMI.

A body builder in competition would still have a post 30 BMI, even with only 4% body fat or less (BMI saying obese, body fat saying underweight).

I have a 23 BMI now (6.9% fat), up from 19 when I was a teen.

BMI i rekon is still a good indicator for an active soldier, especially if eating the standard ration pack per day those with exess muscle will lose it, those with fat too, and all will drop to sub 25 anyway...

________

Key point is, look at what ammount of that BMI reading can be attributed to body fat. if your fat is lower than 20-25% and your BMI is higher than 30, its muscle bulk and not a problem. If your BMI is that high and your body fat is also more than 25%, you are medically a fatty. :p

13. As a guideline i think it still has relevance.

For every story of the ripped and stacked rugby player/boxer, who has a BMI over 30, there's a thousand fatties saying "Don't measure me by BMI as it's not representative".

It's not the be all and end all, but i think it's still a good target (if you use the 18 - 30 figure as normal) and for soldiering then i'd still say bodybuilders with bmi over 30 at 4% bodyfat are not a suitable size/shape for the job..

14. What did WE do before the BMI? Use Common Sence on medicals and knowing that with a good diet and proper training we would become lean mean fighting machines?

15. I think it works fine you fat bastards, mine's 23.47.