Bye Bye Barbados.

There are a few articles on the Beeb to be fair covering this - example below:
That said, I hope the Barbadans (is that right) don't come running to us for assistance should the inevitable next natural disaster occur in that region, and good luck getting assistance from Beijing with their Belt & Road beady eyes & help.

There are a few articles on the Beeb to be fair covering this - example below:
That said, I hope the Barbadans (is that right) don't come running to us for assistance should the inevitable next natural disaster occur in that region, and good luck getting assistance from Beijing with their Belt & Road beady eyes & help.

Sadly if they get into bed with either the Chinese or Americans they will be asset striped within a decade and corporations will run the island. But, if that's what they voted for, then so be it. Not our problem any more.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Sadly if they get into bed with either the Chinese or Americans they will be asset striped within a decade and corporations will run the island. But, if that's what they voted for, then so be it. Not our problem any more.
In a sane world, I would expect so. However, in this one?

The same amount of people who are poor now will still be poor after the declaration of a republic. It makes no difference, to whom they are aligned. The same top people will have all the wealth.

Presumably they will remain in the commonwealth, in which case it could still be our problem (at least while HM remains head)

From an article in the Spectator it looks like they've been cosying up with the Chinese.
Ungrateful back stabbing swine
The Chinks have a bigger 'footprint' in the Caribbean now than us. It's been going on for a while.

I hope the slanty-eyed savages ravage the place. Unfortunately, as the WIGS has been contracted out to Hoseasons, there ain't gonna be a White Ensign hoving into view to carronade the yellow peril anytime soon. More's the pity.

Last edited:
The Chinks have a bigger 'footprint' in the Caribbean now than us. It's been going on for a while.
When we went to Grenada a few years ago, we passed a large, fenced off compound with the Chinese flag flying over it, all Chinese workers, cut off from the community. Big investment but not using local labour etc

The same amount of people who are poor now will still be poor after the declaration of a republic. It makes no difference, to whom they are aligned. The same top people will have all the wealth.

I think it does make a differences. In a republic who has oversight of the government with checks and balances?
Who has the power sack a president?

The risk of corruption in my opinion is far greater in a Republic.

I agree that the pour will remain poor, and the rich will get richer.

When we went to Grenada a few years ago, we passed a large, fenced off compound with the Chinese flag flying over it, all Chinese workers, cut off from the community. Big investment but not using local labour etc
the Chinese have found, through bitter experience in certain countries, means that the work won't get done or will be badly done or rampant theft and corruption will stall any projects. Quite often, the cannier locals will let the Chinese crack on and take credit after the job is finished.

Rab_C

LE
I have just returned from a holiday in St Lucia, I was very surprised and slightly pleased to see that they have a lot of tie ins with Taiwan. I imagine that this puts the Chinese’s nose out of joint.

Presumably they will remain in the commonwealth, in which case it could still be our problem (at least while HM remains head)

For the time being, but given the Commonwealth has its roots in the old Empire, who knows when they will leave that too.

Barbados is now on the same footing as Rwanda.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Good luck to them. As long as there is no expectation that when the next hurricane levels the Island, UK Plc has an obligation to help.

Barbados is now on the same footing as Rwanda.
And Mozambique - two countries that had **** all to do with the British Empire, but, nevertheless, were admitted in to our hateful but exclusive white supremacist ex-slavers' association for some bizarre reason. Twofers between 7-9 probably.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
the Chinese have found, through bitter experience in certain countries, means that the work won't get done or will be badly done or rampant theft and corruption will stall any projects. Quite often, the cannier locals will let the Chinese crack on and take credit after the job is finished.
Per Africa. Lots of Africa.

God damn it, this is their BARBEXIT moment! Now that they can self-determine having removed the shackles of monarchist rule they'll all be wealthy beyond their wildest dreams!

Some old woman thousands of miles away was obviously stopping them from realising this potential, duh.