By Electon results June 2021

Heseltine is now shouting the odds from the House of Lords.

exploiting their still significant majority and implementing proper Conservative Policies

Well that is the issue isn't it. The country voted for a Conservative government. But in every area, tax, transport, healthcare and pensions, energy, immigration, Europe, culture, even defence, we have gotten anything but. Boris is a left-wing eco loon (or at least his wife is, and he is a mere wet lettuce). But he's enabled by the entire party. If you are a conservative voter, with a big or little C, there is no mainstream party for you. The only reason to vote Tory now is to keep Kiev Starmer and his bunch out but at this point, would we even notice the difference?

Malcolm Rifkind is now sticking his oar in, calling for the Cabinet (or junior Ministers) to rebel.

E2A

So far today that's:

Hesletine
Howard
Rifkind &
Andrew RT Davies (Leader of the Tories in the Senedd)

Calling for Johnson to go.

Last edited:
Just how things are mixed up, Labour lost deposit at Tiverton vote fell from 11,654 in 2019 to 1,562 yesterday, Warrington Limp Dems lost deposit Greens, Reform UK and Yorkshire Party got more votes!

Heseltine is now shouting the odds from the House of Lords.
Would that be the same Heseltine who lost a lot of EU money for his land as a result of Brexit…?

ETA: Yep, £90k a year in EU grants.

Last edited:
Malcolm Rifkind is now sticking his oar in, calling for the Cabinet (or junior Ministers) to rebel.

E2A

So far today that's:

Hesletine
Howard
Rifkind &
Andrew RT Davies (Leader of the Tories in the Senedd)

Calling for Johnson to go.
And al behind his back whilst he is out of the country. Gutless cowards.

Just how things are mixed up, Labour lost deposit at Tiverton vote fell from 11,654 in 2019 to 1,562 yesterday, Warrington Limp Dems lost deposit Greens, Reform UK and Yorkshire Party got more votes!

This is exactly why those that are getting their frillies in a twist over the loss of 2 by-elections are way wide of the mark - IMO.

The Lib Dems won Tiverton after the Tory MP stood down for being a bit of a sex pest ( Probably why the Tories lost ) but still came 2nd, the flip side is that Labour actually got annihilated ( by losing their deposit )

The best that the Lib Dems can ever hope for is to become a Junior coalition partner.

In the wakefield by-election, the same thing, sex pest stood down, Labour win, Tories still come 2nd.

I would have been very surprised if the Tories had held any of them.

Had the Lib Dems won both seats - I would have shrugged my shoulders.

Had Labour won both seats - I would have said the the Tories potentially have a major problem.

Given the results - I don't think the Tories actually gave that much to worry about.

Good point. Its not beyond the bounds of possibility that Johnson might pull the pin out of the grenade by calling a General Election after he gets back from Rawanda next week and thereby threaten to blow up the party and himself in a gigantic election defeat unless everyone backs him and they all pull together under new Post-Brexit manifesto and fresh mandate. He may just figure he has nothing to lose.

Its almost 'doing a Putin'.

Boris is a left-wing eco loon (or at least his wife is, and he is a mere wet lettuce). But he's enabled by the entire party. If you are a conservative voter, with a big or little C, there is no mainstream party for you. The only reason to vote Tory now is to keep Kiev Starmer and his bunch out but at this point, would we even notice the difference?

Exactly my view. The centre ground occupied by much of both Labour and Conservative parties is virtually indistinguishable. In many respects, New Labour under Blair was further to the right than the position held by the current tory party.

Boris Johnson certainly shows the tendencies you describe but is probably too idle to implement much of it. The tories seem to be completely bereft of any real policy direction of their own.

Latest Threads