By Electon results June 2021

As mid-term results, they are not unexpected, and probably not desperately significant.
Disagree with that.

It's not the loss, it's the margin of the loss that's significant and l think that anyone trying to gloss over this or suggest there's nothing to see are fooling themselves.
Which makes Dowden’s resignation somewhat puzzling, and perhaps, more significant than the results themselves.
Partly because as the party chairman he takes responsibility, but also because he at least can see how bad these results are.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
No idea - I think @Grownup_Rafbrat is from down that way.

She might be able to offer some insight.
It's a bit south and west of me in North Dorset, although I'm heading that way for the weekend's camping expedition.

The West Country has always toyed with the Limp Dems, albeit less so since the Brexit vote, where they are majority leavers and the Illiberal Undemocrats want to overturn the vote.

I suspect it's the usual mid-term dip, and as Boris still has a massive Commons majority, folk know there's no danger in a protest vote.

Plus Central Office will never have heard of Wakefield or Tiverton and wouldn't send a big campaign team there, because Boris has a massive Commins majority.

But, Boris Grr. Lost by-elections, vote of no confidence. Grr.

Last edited:

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Book Reviewer
Looking at the turnout, and that the Conservatives biggest threat is from Labour. Wakefield at a rather pathetic 30%. That's voter apathy. Given that it used to be a labour seat, no surprise they took it back. Conservatives didn't get out of bed for this one. (Nor did most of the town.)

Lib Dems took Tiverton with a 52.3% turnout, they really have turned green, or its a protest vote.

Nothing to see here.

Disagree with that.

It's not the loss, it's the margin of the loss that's significant and l think that anyone trying to gloss over this or suggest there's nothing to see are fooling themselves.

Partly because as the party chairman he takes responsibility, but also because he at least can see how bad these results are.
How terribly un-Conservative.

Boris is a butterfly
He flutters from one thing to the next without a great deal of focus on anything I particular

When he is forced ro focus he actually does so quite well

I have no issue with him getting a slap occasionally to get him back on track
These results will hopefully do that and he can do something drastic to sort the cost of living problem

Boris is a butterfly
He flutters from one thing to the next without a great deal of focus on anything I particular

When he is forced ro focus he actually does so quite well

I have no issue with him getting a slap occasionally to get him back on track
These results will hopefully do that and he can do something drastic to sort the cost of living problem

Not a hope. His only real virtue (in the eyes of his own party) was that he was a sure-fire vote winner. After a very short time it has been seen that even this has faded to nothing. He's now seen for what he is; an empty husk.

Johnson doesn't appear to be listening to the mood music.

Johnson avoids accepting responsibility for Tory byelection defeats in letter to Dowden​

Boris Johnson has not accepted any personal responsibility for the Tory byelection defeats in the open letter he has written responding to Oliver Dowden’s resignation. (See 6.44am.) Johnson told Dowden:

Thank you for your letter and I am sad to see you leave government.
As minister for the Cabinet Office, secretary of state for digital, culture, media and sport and co-chairman of the Conservative party, it has been a pleasure to work alongside you for the last three years.
In each of those roles you have given your best and focused on delivering for the British people.
Whilst I completely understand your disappointment with the by-election results, this government was elected with a historic mandate just over two years ago to unite and level up. I look forward to continuing to work together on that.
In his letter Johnson seems to be wilfully misinterpreting the message in Dowden’s letter. When Dowden said that supporters were “distressed and disappointed by recent events”, he was not referring only to election defeats. He also seemed to be referring to Partygate, and to Johnson’s own conduct. (Dowden’s language is very similar to the language used by many other Tory MPs when they sent emails to constituents who asked for their response to the Sue Gray report revelations.)

Johnson does not acknowledge this. Instead it sounds more as if he is saying that the person Dowden is disappointed in is Dowden himself.

The great unwashed taking the opportunity to express their disapproval of recent mis-management.

And thank goodness we have the right to, in some countries that could mean an untimely demise

Johnson doesn't appear to be listening to the mood music.

Johnson avoids accepting responsibility for Tory byelection defeats in letter to Dowden​

Boris Johnson has not accepted any personal responsibility for the Tory byelection defeats in the open letter he has written responding to Oliver Dowden’s resignation. (See 6.44am.) Johnson told Dowden:

In his letter Johnson seems to be wilfully misinterpreting the message in Dowden’s letter. When Dowden said that supporters were “distressed and disappointed by recent events”, he was not referring only to election defeats. He also seemed to be referring to Partygate, and to Johnson’s own conduct. (Dowden’s language is very similar to the language used by many other Tory MPs when they sent emails to constituents who asked for their response to the Sue Gray report revelations.)

Johnson does not acknowledge this. Instead it sounds more as if he is saying that the person Dowden is disappointed in is Dowden himself.
Frankly, I would expect nothing less from the man.

As we've seen over the past months, his ability to be at the centre of scandal and be convinced it's nothing to do with him is quite impressive.

A measure of how seriously the party are taking the loss will be to see how many ( or how few) cabinet ministers raise their head above the parapet.

TractorStats

Old-Salt
There is no doubt the Conservatives deserved a good battering in both by elections and Johnson is the reason.

However, I notice that Remainer Conservative MPs and spokes people are out in force this morning. This they see as their big chance to over turn Brexit and no doubt the liberal left in the usual media organisations will be all too happy to give them a hand.

Dowden is a Remainer and I have no doubt his resignation was strategic and pre-planned. I used to be a member of the Conservative Party and voted for Johnson as leader to stop Jeremy Hunt. Johnson has failed to deliver but the membership will never vote for Hunt even though he is favourite to take over in the betting on Betfair.

Anyway, main point is stand by now for a major blood letting in the Conservative Party between Brexit and Remain camps.

There is no doubt the Conservatives deserved a good battering in both by elections and Johnson is the reason.

However, I notice that Remainer Conservative MPs and spokes people are out in force this morning. This they see as their big chance to over turn Brexit and no doubt the liberal left in the usual media organisations will be all too happy to give them a hand.

Dowden is a Remainer and I have no doubt his resignation was strategic and pre-planned. I used to be a member of the Conservative Party and voted for Johnson as leader to stop Jeremy Hunt. Johnson has failed to deliver but the membership will never vote for Hunt even though he is favourite to take over in the betting on Betfair.

Anyway, main point is stand by now for a major blood letting in the Conservative Party between Brexit and Remain camps.

They need to stop their internal civil war, and get on with running the country, this is not a good look outside Westminster

They can't see that if he is replaced by a remainer, it will be a betrayal of the working class and the red wall will be gone

Looking at the turnout, and that the Conservatives biggest threat is from Labour. Wakefield at a rather pathetic 30%. That's voter apathy. Given that it used to be a labour seat, no surprise they took it back. Conservatives didn't get out of bed for this one. (Nor did most of the town.)

Lib Dems took Tiverton with a 52.3% turnout, they really have turned green, or its a protest vote.

Nothing to see here.

The tory party chairman saw it somewhat differently. I think that I'm more inclined to pay attention to that.

The tory party chairman saw it somewhat differently. I think that I'm more inclined to pay attention to that.
The Treasurer of the 1922 Cttee isn't a happy camper either.

E2A

1. Pretty dire by-elections mean difficult decisions'​

More from Conservative MP Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown, who is treasurer of the party's influential 1922 Committee of backbench MPs.
    He says that the by-election results are "pretty dire" and admits they "call into question the direction of the government".
    Clifton-Brown says he voted against Boris in the recent confidence vote - but accepts the majority of his party backed him in that vote.
    However, he says the Tories will now have to make difficult decisions.
    Normally Conservative MPs wouldn't be allowed to hold another confidence vote for a year, but there has been speculation the rules could be changed.
    Clifton-Brown says we owe it to the PM to listen to what he says, when he's back in the country, about turning these very serious problems around.
    "I just don’t think the PM has realised how serious the situation is," he adds

Last edited:

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Not a hope. His only real virtue (in the eyes of his own party) was that he was a sure-fire vote winner. After a very short time it has been seen that even this has faded to nothing. He's now seen for what he is; an empty husk.
I'd say he's a liar and a tosser. Now he is toast. The fantasy is over.

Even the bloke whose idiocy caused the Tiverton by-election in the first place is blaming Johnson for the loss of the seat.

TractorStats

Old-Salt
They need to stop their internal civil war, and get on with running the country, this is not a good look outside Westminster

They can't see that if he is replaced by a remainer, it will be a betrayal of the working class and the red wall will be gone
Unfortunately, this all began way back when Thatcher was deposed. It runs very deep.

The rules were different back then but she won the first round when she faced the stalking horse leadership bid but she was weakened and the knives were out for her from the pro-EU Cabinet members and she then faced a drip drip of resignations. This is what Johnson will now face.

What I would prefer is a swift Johnson resignation, a caretaker like Ian Duncan Smith with no ambition to be leader then to take over for 6 months while a proper internal debate and a leadership election can take place. This has to be organised by 1922 Committee. We cant as you say, have an internal civil war played out in public with Johnson meanwhile hanging on by his finger nails in office but not in power.

Latest Threads