BW kilt

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by RCSignals, Dec 3, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The pleats of a BW kilt have been described as "round"
    I was speaking to an ex BW soldier (early '50s), and he described a routine of dipping the pleats in cold water, then using a round rod or broom stick to form the pleats. Does this sound correct? (not that I'm going to do it :lol: )
    Any ex BW kilts I've seen have all had the pleats ironed flat.

Most people don't realise how much of a "badge" a kilt is of itself for the different Regiments. Much of that has been lost, especially with the three Regiment "Highlanders"
  2. Ah...

How long a response do you want on this?

It is more of a fashion thing re the pleats. In the 40's, 50's and early 60's it was the thing to do to have rounded edges on the pleats. Since then it has been the trend to iron them flat. (a serious time consuming pain in the proverbial if you do it properly - you have to stitch all the pleats together and then iron them flat, then unstitch the buggers whilst trying not to crumple the sodding things :evil: ). This is probably due to the pooling of Scot Divs recruits and the need to come to some acceptable standard across all highland regiments.

However, I certainly know some senior NCO's and officers who have rounded pleats (this might be because they can't be arrsed to iron them flat).

3. Great traditions LG. You're absolutely correct about each regiment's kilt being different. Who wore 'box' pleats and who wore 'knife edge'?

I recall when the old Lowland and Highland Brigades first started recruit training together as the Scottish Division at Glencorse, it was an instructors' nightmare. Especially with sporrans. A&SH 'swinging six', BW five tassels, Gordons white sporran black horse hair tassels, QOHldrs completely reversed! Then the spats!! Gordons black buttons, BW had a different style.
    Even the garter flashes were unique, particularly the Gordons (belled)!

KOSB wore spats and blackcock feathers, Royal Scots wore the blackcock feather no spats, RHF wore spats no blackcock feathers!! Each distinction in uniform had a history. I burned the midnight oil reading up on the history of each Regiment. Fascinating stuff. Damn the politicians who seek to do away with it all!

The distinctions in uniform got even more confusing among S/NCOs and Officers. Different sporrans, kilt panels, etc. Happy days.
  4. Box pleats were worn by the Queen's Own Highlanders. Seaforth origin?
  5. Yes Seaforth's had box pleats.

So did Camerons, also Sutherland Highlanders(and A+SH still do)

I recently purchased an unissued Cameron kilt, because the price was good, but it is more recent manufacture and for some reason not box pleated. I wonder why?

Thanks for the explanation of the round pleats L-G.
    I've read it has been a long tradition of the BW, too bad it's no longer done.
    I supposes as with many things there were different ways of accomplishing it.

There is much to be said for individual Bn depot training. Canada's Cbt Arms units discovered that after the Forces went to a single GMT course for the whole Armed Forces. The Cbt Arms units instituted their own form of catch up training, and I think in the 80's were allowed to go back to their own recruit depot training.
  6. Have a feeling that this sort of thing will make a big come back :D once the cuts get imposed. :(
  7. Discussions about them you mean? :)

There are differences in sett to tartans as well. The A+SH sett of the "Government" tartan was originally different from that used by the BW, and numbered "1A" (BW being no1)

The Seaforth's and HLI both wore tartan that is commonly referred to as Mackenzie (really it's Government with red an white line, originally a Regimental tartan) But the HLI sett of the tartan is different, having wider set apart lines. HLI kilts were not box pleated, and did not have a centred red line on the front apron.

So much UFI :(
  8. Oh don't i know it - A Coy BW used to have red lines across it to ensure that everybody knew they were the Grenadier Coy...

So much useless info, so little time to use it!