BW Back to Iraq

The Black Watch is being deployed to Iraq at the end of the year, the Ministry of Defence has confirmed.
It will be the third time soldiers from the third battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland have been sent to Iraq since Saddam Hussein was toppled.

Just two weeks ago the Army denied that the Belfast-based Black Watch was being deployed there.

Scots Territorial Army reservists are also being deployed, defence officials said.

They will be sent as part of 19 Light Brigade, with a company from the 51st Highland, the 7th Battalion being sent in November.
BBC Scotland

That's life in a green (off yellow) suit?

dpm

I was watching the new and it said they were sending only a Coy and not the whole Battalion. Bit of a shitty deal for the guys on there 3rd romp though!

T C

Further quote from this article:

Mr Wishart, whose Perth and North Perthshire constituency is part of the Black Watch's historical recruiting ground, said: "While I have absolutely no doubt that the Black Watch will perform their mission with their customary professionalism, it is simply not fair or right to put them back in Iraq for a third time.

"No other battalion or regiment has been asked to do so much in this conflict and the Black Watch have paid heavily for this over reliance."

Now I am sure of other Regiments and units that have deployed 3 times - Engrs, Gunners and the like.

wooger said:
Further quote from this article:

Mr Wishart, whose Perth and North Perthshire constituency is part of the Black Watch's historical recruiting ground, said: "While I have absolutely no doubt that the Black Watch will perform their mission with their customary professionalism, it is simply not fair or right to put them back in Iraq for a third time.

"No other battalion or regiment has been asked to do so much in this conflict and the Black Watch have paid heavily for this over reliance."

Now I am sure of other Regiments and units that have deployed 3 times - Engrs, Gunners and the like.
Indeed, Mr Wishart needs to wish a bit 'art[er] before he gobs off.

If I'm not mistaken, 1LI are currently on 3rd tour: Telic 1, 3 and 8. And I have a feeling that the QDG have only been allowed 2 tours at home since the whole thing kicked off - but I may be mistaken... :) Hahahaaaa!!! :)

Anyway, as others have mentionned, it's only 1 composite coy being deployed - probably as back-filling!!!!

PS. That's not to mock the BW who have done, and will do, a splendid job - just to knock the pathetic party politics of tw@t spouting sh1te...

I reckon there's a Bn or 2 on Ceremonials that would love to go - probably a bit cooler over there on a day like today.

You've got to love deploying from NI too - how flights (?) and other 'perks' will work when Op Banner ends should be of interest. Nothing like leaving the wife and kids in sunny Belfast when you're playing Sandcastles...

dpm

The_Cheat said:
Bit of a shitty deal for the guys on there 3rd romp though!
Moaning bastards. Most people from the Combat Arms or CSS parts of the Army have been there three or more times as have some other Inf Bns.

BW (sorry, 3 SCOTS) are not special just because they went to Dogwood so suck it up and get on with it. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but I'm sick of Inf types saying they're well hard and then moaning about doing their jobs.

Thoughts?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
DPM said:
I reckon there's a Bn or 2 on Ceremonials that would love to go - probably a bit cooler over there on a day like today.
dpm
you think?
...temperature in parts of UK yesterday 34 degrees Centigrade
...temperature in Kuwait City yesterday 48 degrees Centigrade

The temperature at NIGHT in Iraq in July is higher than the hottest day we've had in this country this year.

Good luck to the guys deploying.

Le Chevre

Goatman said:
DPM said:
dpm
you think?
...temperature in parts of UK yesterday 34 degrees Centigrade
...temperature in Kuwait City yesterday 48 degrees Centigrade

The temperature at NIGHT in Iraq in July is higher than the hottest day we've had in this country this year.

Good luck to the guys deploying.

Le Chevre
I'll second that

Yes it is hot out here. I am working with the QDG and this is their 3rd tour 1, 5 and 8. I am dettached from my Battalion and attached to A Squadron. They are a great bunch of lads, i should be home soon but they have asked to keep us (6 attached lads) for at least a month longer, 8O Oh well its more money, but i will miss my 21st at home.

happy_as_a_hat said:
The_Cheat said:
Bit of a shitty deal for the guys on there 3rd romp though!
Moaning bastards. Most people from the Combat Arms or CSS parts of the Army have been there three or more times as have some other Inf Bns.

BW (sorry, 3 SCOTS) are not special just because they went to Dogwood so suck it up and get on with it. I don't mean to sound unsympathetic but I'm sick of Inf types saying they're well hard and then moaning about doing their jobs.

Thoughts?
Come on fellas - please detect at least an element of sarcasm in my voice 8O

Say what you like about the temperature, I'd rather be over there than wearing a shagging bear-skin, no matter the weather!

As has already been posted, I don't think the BW situation anything special. With operational tour gaps of minus 1 hour and minus 2 months the norm over the past couple of years(sorry for turning up late - Fireman's strike don't you know), we all know what it's like, and most of us enjoy it.

Where are the Inf types saying they're well hard and then moaning about doing their jobs? I'm saft as sh!t but love my job :wink:

Now get back to supporting us, like you're supposed to.

dpm

DPM said:
Now get back to supporting us, like you're supposed to.

dpm
Yeah, if it wasn't for the infantry they'd be no point in the rest of the Army existing, would there? You owe us for your livelihood.

I think youll find the moaning / shite stirring is being done by the SNP.......I for one am getting sick of their moaning.........they certainly didnt help 1BW on the last deployment in fact they helped anounce their arrival to the local insurgents along with the rest of the shitty UK media circus.

A BW spokesman was quoted in The Courier (BW area rag) that.... "the soldiers themselves find it more satisfying to do what they are trained for" he also described the deployment as "Quite routine".

Happy as a hat --

Hmm where to start - if your a Cmbt arm then i apologise if not

Three tours in the loggies in your air conditioned corrimecs with gyms and all the rest of the luxuries is not quite the same as living in a shit hole (Dogwood or the Inf Camps in Shaibah). No decent air con, gym that is just a tent

If you are a Inf supporting Remf then dont spout about what you dont know about
On the other hand if you are a member of the combat arms and have lived in the shiteholes that we normally live in then i apologise for my slight teddy throwing....

I do however conceed that 3 tours is now the norm and they should just get on with it like the many others who are on their 3 tour at the moment with the possibility of a fourth ever looming.

Oh yes it is only a Coy and that has not been fully endorsed by MOD yet.

Agreed but which is the bigger shafting;

a. A theatre you have been too twice in the last three years and nothing has changed or

b. Nastier and if what i read is true (probably not) more unpleasant theatre but at least the scenery is different to the eye.

Anyway who then takes over all the duties of the RIrish HS in NI if we deploy all of NI bdes troops ???

machiavelli said:
Happy as a hat --

Hmm where to start - if your a Cmbt arm then i apologise if not

Three tours in the loggies in your air conditioned corrimecs with gyms and all the rest of the luxuries is not quite the same as living in a s*** hole (Dogwood or the Inf Camps in Shaibah). No decent air con, gym that is just a tent

If you are a Inf supporting Remf then dont spout about what you dont know about
On the other hand if you are a member of the combat arms and have lived in the shiteholes that we normally live in then i apologise for my slight teddy throwing....

And if you haven't been a REME attached and lived in even worse shitholes then don't kid yourself that the infantry are the only ones who have a hard time. I appreciate that you are at the sharp end but so are the attched and REME close support companies.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
quiller The Intelligence Cell 7
S The Intelligence Cell 5
L The Intelligence Cell 71